Home > Trip Reports > May 12, Adams

May 12, Adams

5/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stella Conditions on 5/14/07 9:43am
This is my first trip report for TAY so bear with me....
Headed down to Adams Friday with two friends to ski the SW chutes. Thought the TAY crowd would appreciate road access info. We were able to drive to within ~4.5miles of the Cold Springs Campground. Above that we encountered patches of snow (big-ass trucks made it another 1/2 mile or so!) for about another mile before being able to skin. We had hoped to avoid the switchbacks by heading up the Morrison Creek drainage but snow in the woods was too sparse.
We camped at Timberline Friday night and headed up the south ridge Saturday morning. We made it to 10,500ft when the weather closed in (at about 11:30am)and we had to bail. We had opted for a later start (5:30am) in hopes of better snow, had we left earlier we would have likely have summited but the skiing would have been less enjoyable. The 1st 1000 feet of the run was frozen crust but below that we enjoyed perfect corn all the way back to camp. Not the run we had hoped for but still great turns! We'll be back.....
The report I was waiting for! Thanks Stella Conditions!
This reminds me of our attempt two year ago sans the perfect corn. We had crust and sastrugi all the way to the treeline :(
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72057594139967495/

Reply to this TR

may-12-adams
Stella Conditions
2007-05-14 16:43:44