Home > Trip Reports > May 12, 2007, Frisco Mtn, Wa Pass

May 12, 2007, Frisco Mtn, Wa Pass

5/12/07
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Paul_Russell on 5/13/07 1:50pm
Teledave and I had nice tour of Frisco and the Lyall Gl via Maple Pass.  The descent on the SW slopes from the Pass to Maple Creek was nice skiing on firm corn snow and made for a fast crossing towards the col up to Frisco.  After a nice break at the col, we had a great run down the Lyall Gl on creamy corn on the upper glacier, progressing to deeper mush down low.   We did a second lap from the knoll just N of Frisco.  We set off some significant sluffs on the lower part of the descent over a steeper section.  There seemed to be a sliding layer (crust) about a foot down that required attention.  This made for concern on the descent to Rainey Lake above some cliff bands late in the afternoon.   A beautiful day with awesome views of Goode and Logan.
Nice photos, Paul.  B&W pictures somehow remind me of those old photos I used to take.  Maybe just us, pre-color generations...

I guess, I missed a nice trip.  I really like that loop tour, I may need to drag somebody else up there soon.

Nicely timed and executed Paul. I was there yesterday, Sunday,  and there were 3 to 5 inches of fresh poorly bonded to the unfrozen mush. Had thought of your loop or Benzarino but  poor viz and sloughs all around. Another group of 3 left early but  patience was not rewarded for the predicted clearing as snow showers persisted. It will take quite awhile for things to consolidate now. Lake Ann still pretty solid for crossing though.
Enjoyed the Saturday views and sunshine with Telemack and many others on the Birthday loop.

Looks great, guys, sorry I couldn't attend!

I love the symmetry of the tracks in the top pic.

Reply to this TR

may-12-2007-frisco-mtn-wa-pass
Paul_Russell
2007-05-13 20:50:59