Home > Trip Reports > May 13, 2007, Iron Pk 6510' and Teanaway Pk 6779'

May 13, 2007, Iron Pk 6510' and Teanaway Pk 6779'

5/13/07
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 5/13/07 11:59am
The North Fork Teanaway road is snow free to about 3/4 mile short of Iron Pk. Trail  No. 1399.  By the weekend it will be driveable beyond the trailhead making Headlight and Esmeralda basins easy day trips. 
We hiked the trail for 500' vertical and were able to skin from here to the top of Iron Peak.  We chose the S.E. basins for our first run.  The first picture is one entrance to the 1st S.E. basin.  The second picture of Margy shows the 2nd S.E. basin.  Both of these plus the N.E. face should have decent coverage next weekend.
Then Pico and I headed up Teanaway Pk.  Third picture is Pico heading off the top down the east ridge.  This run will hold in till next week too, but has one short wind roll on a thin section of ridge that requires a short side step to get down to the mountain's big lower South run.  Larry R.'s favorite run from last week!
Then it was back up Iron Pk. for the gentle west slopes cruise back to the N. F. road.  I think this approach will be worth it for another week, just a bit more trail hiking to get to snow.  All in all this is a faster way now to get into the slopes of Beverly Creek since it gives you the last west run at the end of the day.
We got a late start (10:00AM) at the parking spot but skiing East, then South/S.E., then West kept us in corn that was a bit deep at times (4 inches) but with firm base.  Fun skiing.  Great company.
The sun always shines in the teanaway. Thanks for the info!!

Good to see your picking the Plums.  Great Looking Terrain!
Pin'

We took the Beverly Creek approach to iron peak yesterday.  We hiked for about 1.5 miles before putting on skis at around 4800 feet where we crossed the creek.  No problems getting across the creek at that point.  Snow was best on the NE aspect of Iron Peak for our group around 1:00pm.  Views, as always were spectacular. 
One person in our group found a roll of exposed 35mm film on the summit--send a pm if its yours...

jeff

Hi Jeff,
We were the ones who met you at the top and walked out to the south ridge.  Thanks for checking to see if it was ours and also for the beta of not skiing SE directly off the summit into the rollover with those rocks below.  From below it didn't look like it had a wide enough passage.  We like those small bowls beyond to the SE and usually one would not have to walk the skis out to them.  Kind of a strange melt out this year.
Figured someone in your group was a TAY'er.
John

Thanks for the post John...I got out and took your approach on the 14th. The NE face was superb corn due to a little colder night. I couldn't help myself, so took several runs before the west exit and a kayak run down the Teanaway with a group from the west side....I may have been paddling in some of the molecules I touched earlier. Looks like there'll be good skiing and boating for at least a few more weeks!

Reply to this TR

may-13-2007-iron-pk-6510-and-teanaway-pk-6779
John Morrow
2007-05-13 18:59:48