Home > Trip Reports > May 12, 2007, Silver Peak 5605' West Slopes

May 12, 2007, Silver Peak 5605' West Slopes

5/12/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 5/12/07 7:55am
My apologies to those friends who have been interested in connecting for a tour.  Guess I have had a hankering for going out alone, lately.  I can't think of a better antedote for relationship break-up blues then to push oneself to get out into the hills.  Today was a great day.
The approach:   The long walk on the trail is worth it for the gorgeous old growth Douglas Firs and western red cedars alone.  The trail to Lake Annette has no snow for 2+ miles. Then there is a nice boot path to the last major gully before the Lake (the rightmost one that reaches the valley floor in picture three), taken last year from Humpback Mtn.  Put skis on here with a light thaw to skin through at 9:30 AM.  Then, it was diagonalling up with occassional switchbacks to the saddle just south of the summit.  From here I skinned/walked a short distance to the top.  Since I never skied right off the top before, I wanted to make sure I did today.  But the west slope had about 200 vertical feet of rock below the summit.  Thought I would be thwarted again.
The ski:  To ski off the top I had to do a run into the big East bowl.  Seeing it for years from Cold Creek, I didn't know there was a nice break in the cornice formations.  Off the top I skied behind the rock of the East ridge in picture 1.  Then I turned into the bowl.  Picture 1 shows the drop into the bowl, which by 10:30 already was deep slideable glop.  It is tough to see but I first ski cut the slope just below the highest tree on the right skyline.  As I made turns smaller slides started but nothing that could not be avoided from the sides or moving across slope.  Must have been a very light freeze last night, if at all.  Then I climbed back out to the South ridge, retraced my steps, and depoted the skis on the highest snow of the west slope.  45 nice long minutes on the top (pic 2) and I was ready for the fast, fun descent of 2000 vertical on (2 inch thawed) fast corn!  Skiing from directly below the top it was one long run to the treeline, then a rising traverse skiers right to the fall line that contains the broad gully of picture three.  One can ski to 3200 feet down the gully, but I stopped where the summer trail crosses it at 3500 ft.
Lots of strange faces on the hike out as if the skis on my backpack were antennae coming out of my head!

Reply to this TR

may-12-2007-silver-peak-5605-west-slopes
John Morrow
2007-05-12 14:55:58