Home > Trip Reports > May 11, 2007, Camp Muir

May 11, 2007, Camp Muir

5/11/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Double E on 5/12/07 7:50am
Annual pilgrimage to the Muir Snowfield.  Love that tour... long, continuous, sustained.  Up up uphill, then down down downhill.  Nice and simple.  And some in-credible views yesterday!!  Some haze and wispy cloud bands in the southern sky, but not enough to nearly obscure Adams or St. Helens, let along the Tatoosh.

Snow was killer, at least for the first 3000 feet of downhill.  Spring corn goodness, about 3€ of it on top of a firm base.  Then below that it got a little moister, but still very workable.  Fun times.  Never realized how steep the run next to Anvil Rock is... watched some skiers come down it while we were going up, and I thought, "OK, we gotta go down that on the way back". 

All told, saw about 30 other day trippers on the section past Alta Vista; maybe 20 hikers and 10 skiers€¦ much fewer than I€™d expected.  And on the way down, passed about 6 or 7 climbing parties going up. 

Talked to a ranger who said that White River CG will be open May 25.

From Muir to the bottom of Pan Point, that was the most turnable ride down the snowfield I've done yet...a great day.. 

When does Muir usually become more a bootpack and less of a skinning tour? A friend and I want to bootpack it on memorial day, but I just want to double check that we're not going to be slogging through ankle deep corn.

Thanks,
Jonny

author=highflyingpilot link=topic=7086.msg28352#msg28352 date=1179111182]
When does Muir usually become more a bootpack and less of a skinning tour? A friend and I want to bootpack it on memorial day, but I just want to double check that we're not going to be slogging through ankle deep corn.

If you don't want to bring skis, you'll probably be fine, since lots of people hike and there should be a boot track in place. The slogging part us usually on the way down, when everybody takes a different line.

But there's no reason not to bring skis into July and even later, if you have them.

E,

sorry I didnt respond to your call. busy weekend with friends in town. looks like i missed out on a nice tour with some nice views. I am hoping to get out there soon and see what all the hoopla is all about.

" I just want to double check that we're not going to be slogging through ankle deep corn."

Well, you jus done gotcher vegertables mixed up, that's all it is.  Once its ankle deep, its mashed taters, that's what it is.  Ya sure ya betcha.

Seriously, tho, Lowell is right.  The boot track will treat you right, it will be nice and solid most of the way.  But you could still do a little plunge stepping, so bring gaiters or wear boots (not low cut shoes) if you want to stay driest.  low cut and a dry pair of socks for the top will probably work well too.  but bring those boards for sure!

Jimmy

I'm afraid I gave the wrong the wrong impression.
Of course I'm gonna bring along my planks but I lack touring bindings and my friend doesn't have a splitboard so we are left to bootpack.

Thanks for the beta

Reply to this TR

may-11-2007-camp-muir
Double E
2007-05-12 14:50:20