Home > Trip Reports > May 6, 2007, Silver Star

May 6, 2007, Silver Star

5/6/07
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by JimH on 5/8/07 8:11am
I finally got to ski Silver Star this weekend. It€™s been on my list for a while. Despite the crowds and sticky snow I have to say I was not in the least disappointed. What a great tour!

There were probably 14 pairs of skis at the col when we arrived but in the end it hardly mattered. I did wait 'til the crowds on the summit thinned out a bit before tagging the summit block, but that was about the only change in plans I made. The wave of humanity schussing down the first pitch was kinda unusual, but it was all fun.

The weather was just fine. Clouds did close in on the top 500ft or so of the mountain late in the morning and we got some overcast skies, but it was hardly a white out. We had lots of great views.

The snow was sticky in the top 2k and corny below, with ugly black and brown concrete snow in the trees before the final pitch down to the highway. The snow on that last slope was getting patchy €“ we skied all the way to the road, but the slope won€™t last much longer. No complaints though €“ 5400vf of skiing in May? That€™s full value entertainment.

Thanks to my partners for signing on late last week and keeping me from doing another solo tour!! It€™s not only safer it€™s much more fun that way. Solid performance guys, thanks for the company.

Reply to this TR

may-6-2007-silver-star
JimH
2007-05-08 15:11:31