Home > Trip Reports > May 6, 2006, -- Stevens Pass ski area

May 6, 2006, -- Stevens Pass ski area

5/6/06
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Double E on 5/8/07 4:05am
On Sunday, myself, weaver, and skierlyles skied the (closed) Stevens Pass ski area.  Skinned up through the main green run in the middle, while grumbling "hmm, I don't remember it being quite this flat on this run".  >:(  I've only skied Stevens about 4-5 times before, and hadn't skied that part of it much or even at all maybe€¦ and I think the same was true for the others.

Anyway so we climbed to the top of Tye Mill, then went left along the ridge to the top of that other lift.  Then we had a liesurely (and early) lunch and did some beacon practice, taking turns hiding beacons for each other.  I was practicing with a beacon that was new to me, and all of us just needed more practice in general. 

Then we took the skins off, skied down to the base of the back side of the ski area.  Snow was moist for most of the day but with a pretty firm base, just a few inches beneath the muck, that made for easy and fun turns.  Most of the day so far, it had been overcast with long sight distances; many miles thereof.  Then, about half way up the climb back up to the ridge, a light misty rain started falling.  So, after getting up to the top of Tye Mill again, we headed down and called it a day.  Not the biggest day by any means (maybe 2900 vf skiied) but still damn fun to get out and get some turns in.   ;D  Saw about five other skiers and five snowmobilers (two of whom had snowboards on their backs).

A few pics from near the Southern Cross chair ...

Reply to this TR

may-6-2006-stevens-pass-ski-area
Double E
2007-05-08 11:05:50