Home > Trip Reports > May 6, 2007; Teanaway

May 6, 2007; Teanaway

5/15/07
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by cascadesfreak on 5/6/07 9:35am
Found sweet corn turns this morning up the Teanaway valley (clear sky overnight allowed the snow to refreeze and thickening high clouds in the morning, and strong winds up high, kept the sun from over-ripening the corn). 

Noticeably much less snow cover this time compared to our trip up Earl Peak on this same date last year.  Road was passable to the Beverly Creek trailhead in Justin€™s moderately high clearance van (still a few thick snow patches left on the road before the Beverly campground and on the trailhead access road which could pose a challenge for low clearance cars).  Didn€™t reach continuous snow enroute until about 4,700-ft elevation on the NW side of Bean Creek.  Topped out on Earl Peak in strong winds and gradually lowering high cloud ceiling about 3 hrs after leaving the trailhead.  Enjoyed the late morning corn harvest down the upper SW ridge and west face of Earl Pk.

Upon finishing the last stretch of turns down Earl Peak€™s west face, I noticed my left boot suddenly felt like it was in free-heel mode (hmmm, I could of sworn I hadn€™t brought the tele skis on this trip).  The boot heel had come unclicked from the Dynafit binding and wouldn€™t click back in.  Closer inspection revealed that the metal pivot €œstem€ inside the heel piece had broken off from the base and was held in place only by the laterally oriented adjustment screw.  Indeed my binding was screwed after 4 years of fairly frequent use.  Plans for hitting additional lines on nearby Bean Peak and beyond were sadly quelled, but I was fortunately able to dyna-mark turn down much of the Bean Creek valley with only the boot toes clicked-in to the bindings.  Back at the trailhead shortly after noon, concluding a shorter than planned, but still fun tour.
Yaaahhh...Earl peak was most excellent today. Wolfs, Cochise, a tay lurker and I did a semi-circumnavigation of Earl peak, which finally led to the top. Mainly for the nice touring aspects. We found good turns on each aspect. More snow on the east and oddly southern aspects. We saw someone on the summit whilst we were in the south bowl...but that was around 1pm so perhaps someone else other than the famous c-freak.

The turns down the gully on the west face were the best. The gully is barely skiable...got a bit narrow in the middle next to a waterfall...but really, really fun. I'm most grateful for our luck in timing...making the parking lot and finding enough snow in bean basin. The weather could have been better....but perhaps the clouds kept the snow from turning to mush. But really it seemed quite consolidated.

The parking lot was quite full. Saw another party of skiers who were having fun...perhaps on Mary's Peak....And also a large party of ?mountaineers in the scramble course? who had spent the night in bean basin.  We could hear them hootin -n- hollerin in bean basin. On our return to the parking lot, they seemed to being have quite a good time. Asked us many questions about skiing. I referred them to this wonderful website...of course.

some photos

Quite a trip indeed! Watch out for that cornice on summit SW facing! The cracks start back about 15 feet from the edge yikes! more pics  http://climbingjay.smugmug.com/gallery/2811910  8)

Reply to this TR

may-6-2007-teanaway
cascadesfreak
2007-05-06 16:35:30