Home > Trip Reports > May 5 Birthday Tour Washington Pass

May 5 Birthday Tour Washington Pass

5/15/07
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Stewie on 5/5/07 12:17pm
Hey, Stewie Here, last night me and my dad had an idea to drive up to Washington Pass and do the Birthday tour. We left our house at 7:00 and got there at Midnight. My dad and i were the first ones up in the moring and we were the first ones to leave. We left the parking spot at 8:00. We got to the top of Blue Lake Col at about 10:15 and skiied down Madison Avenue in nice soft snow. The skin up to copper creek col was very difficult and firm, we had to use our ski crampons. We down climbed a ways off Copper Creek Col to a flat bit because of a huge cornice at the top of the col. The ski down was very nice and we got back to the car at 1:00. I had a great idea before we left the house to steal my dads new Dynafit boots and skis and i used those the whole day and they made a huge difference. When we got back to the car, someone had blocked us in >:( We sat there for an hour waiting for them to come back until my dad finally found a note that they left telling that we could move their car.
It was a great day and I will post my pictures later.
Nice job Stewart.  Good TR and even better tour, young mountain man. :)  I heard you had a good trip to AK as well, and got some first trax @ Alyeska.
Would you guys have any interest in Leavenworth over Memorial Day weekend?

Stew, you finally managed to drag your dad off the couch and out for a ski tour. Don't forget the pics. 

Michael

Hey heres the pics sorry it took so long

We were up there too for the birthday tour on Saturday. Big crowds at Blue Lake col, but everybody was having fun and the skiing was great. We must have skied Madison Ave after you guys, but it was perfect corn for the first run. As we skinned back up for a second lap, somebody in one of the other parties broke out a parachute and started kite-skiing(?). Looked liked a blast!

-Doug

Photo of kite skier

[Edit: removed displayed photo - thread already at 3 photo limit. You are welcome to insert a link to the photo instead. --Charles">

Great pic!  We were in the RV at the parking lot and must've been up there right after you getting some of that delicious corn down Madison Ave.  My buddy Nick shot a video of the paraskier (?) from the top, you might be in it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nickspang/MAidez/photo#5062047208901542626 (Warning - expletives in the video)

You can also check out the whole slideshow for pics from the tour.  Beautiful sunshine and an awesome day.

strong work Stewart!

Nice report, Stewman.

regarding the fella using the 'speed flying' (parachute) rig....anyone get a chance to talk with them about their gear?

every since those crazy videos of speedflying the Eiger and Mt.Blanc popped up on the internet this winter, I've been really curious to try this....but it seemed like the only place in the US that even sells the gear is in SLC.

please send me a PM if anyone's got some info.  gracias.

Reply to this TR

may-5-birthday-tour-washington-pass
Stewie
2007-05-05 19:17:50