Home > Trip Reports > Pow day in May!! 5/4/2007

Pow day in May!! 5/4/2007

5/15/07
Posted by cochise on 5/4/07 3:40pm
Well this week just didn't go as planned, but, when does it? Androolus, Jerry and I had wanted to ski something back up on Washington Pass and with the current fuel prices and a long drive for a one day trip the weather forecast sealed it. Androolus and I decided to head up I-90 for some fun. We met at the evil coffee empire in Issaquah in a deluge. This didn't look to good and we pondered heading up. Well you don't know until you go so off we went. Pouring rain all the way up the pass hope was fading. By the time we hit the summit exit we had snow!

On with the skins and we headed out to maybe do Kaleetan again, with a quick stop at Pineapple Pass for some warm up runs. The snow on the way up was about 3-4 inches of new on well consolidated slush. Skinning was easy and the snow improved with the elevation gain. By the time we passed the turn off for Bryant Col we decided the conditions were a little risky for the trip to Kaleetan. Pineapple Pass was the next stop.

We hit the top of the Pass and it was sweet! Freshies in May! Up at the Pass! We were in the right place at the right time and the first turns were sooo nice. At the bottom of bowl we skinned up for a run off the back side of the pass. The snow was quite a bit heavier and the fun factor plunged :-[. Back up to the pass and another run down the front side fun factor off the scale again ;D.

The snow never really stopped falling except when the sun made a few guest appearances which was the icing on the cake. We lost count of the runs and all I remember was "okay one more last one!" Have a blast out there this weekend if it stays cold the conditions should be good. As for pineapple pass not many lines left. Jay
More pics  http://climbingjay.smugmug.com/gallery/2802566

Nice photos dude!!!

Reply to this TR

pow-day-in-may-5-4-2007
cochise
2007-05-04 22:40:24