Home > Trip Reports > May 4, 2007, Alpental

May 4, 2007, Alpental

5/4/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 5/4/07 6:17am
With the ski area closed and my need to delay working on the front stairs.  I convinced myself it wasn't raining at the Pass.  I was right it was raining at exit 52 but it was snowing wet flakes at the base of Alpental. The crews were out preparing the lifts for Saturday's reopening.  At the base of Lower Nash, I chatted with the patrol who were planning to do some Control Work in the area.  I agreed to pull the skins at the top of Armstrong's lift which they felt comfortable with.  I noticed one set of climbing tracks with skinny skis was on the slopes ahead of me.

Conditions:  It was snowing wet flakes from the base to the top of the lift.  There were about 3" of new at the top of Armstrongs but in the treed canopy only about an inch penetrated the trees. Temperatures were mild and winds were light.  I noticed the downhill track from the skier with skinny skis and it wasn't pretty. It appeared that the skinny skis became buried and trapped in the soft and heavy snow.  One of the snowcats made a swath from the base to the top but the surface looked rutted with numerous divots.  I skied the old soft moguls with my Atomic Kailas and it was really enjoyable.  Fat boards made the mashed wet snow fun.  As I left the temperatures seemed to be rising and when I returned to I-90 it was raining. Alpental plans to operate Saturday and Sunday.

Reply to this TR

may-4-2007-alpental
Zap
2007-05-04 13:17:54