Home > Trip Reports > April 29-30, 2007, Mt Shasta, West Face

April 29-30, 2007, Mt Shasta, West Face

4/29/07
US elsewhere
Posted by androolus on 5/3/07 2:46am
Wolfs and I took advantage of the high gas prices and drove to Shasta. We were rewarded for our foolishness by a bluebird summit day and nearly perfect corn conditions for the 4000 foot run down the west face.

We took the 2 day approach to climbing the mountain. This was probably foolish, but the camping in Hidden Valley was quite excellent and scenic...except we kept hearing the train whistles from far below. What up with that? We had actually hoped to climb Shastina on our first day after setting up camp, but a late start and some navigation difficulties turned our goals into a quick run above camp...which turned out to be limited by the fog anyway.

The forecast for Monday 4/30 was for partly cloudy conditions, but there was nary a cloud in the sky and not much wind either. Most of the climb was done with skis on back and crampons on feet. The final 1200 feet up misery hill and the summit plateau proved to be generally unskiable, but summit fever compelled me to stash the skis and continue to the summit. Once this detour from skiing was complete, 4000 feet of near perfect corn awaited.

And then the real misery began. Once the overnight packs were on our backs, we had the choice of booting up 200 feet to another nice ski run or heading directly down from hidden valley and doing a short carry...well uh not so short on loose choss...Ugh! Once back on the snow, we quickly made our way back to bunny flat.

Nice TR and photos.  Hidden Valley provides an excellent location for getting away from the crowds along the standard route plus the skiing is wonderful.

Anyone that is thinking about a Shasta trip this year might consider that the snowpack there now is probably similar to the snowpack you'd more typically see in the first week of June. Per the last rec report, the roads to Northgate and Clear Creek are within 2 miles of being open, which is usually the signal that the skiing's at its prime (the moment the trailheads are 'officiallly' open on those other routes it can sometimes be just slightly on the downside of the skiability for that route.)

For instance, here's a link to a pic from Bunny Flat from 4/30:
From Bunny Flat

Note that you can see the Heart, and Sargents R/Green Butte are looking pretty bare.

similar to the snowpack you'd more typically see in the first week of June.-

hoping to get down there 1st w/e in june, will probably feel like, and I'm expecting late june conditions.  wish i could go one of these weekends... especially since its probably been snowing off/on all week there. :-[

author=androolus link=topic=7002.msg28072#msg28072 date=1178214410]
Wolfs and I took advantage of the high gas prices and drove to Shasta.

Great opening!  ;D
Shasta is on my mind too. But the drive is a long long one from up here Vancouver, BC. I guess I too will have to take advantage of the high prices...

Reply to this TR

april-29-30-2007-mt-shasta-west-face
androolus
2007-05-03 09:46:50