Home > Trip Reports > April 29, 2007, Tincan at Turnagain Pass, Alaska

April 29, 2007, Tincan at Turnagain Pass, Alaska

4/29/07
US elsewhere
Posted by Pete A on 5/1/07 3:12am
Picked up our rig on Saturday and drove to the pass that evening.  Sunday morning we had surprisingly bluebird skies and headed up towards one of the more popular roadside destinations along Turnagain called 'Tincan'.  Windcrust and assorted other ugly conditions were found on the skin up, but nearing the top and poking our ski poles onto the windloaded side, we found beautilful calf-deep powder.  Three laps off the ridge down assorted small chutes and face features, maybe 1000vf each lap of mid to upper 30 degree slopes....damn fine skiing for our first day in AK.  Met tons of friendly locals that helped us fill in the blanks on how to get to the other destinations that we want to hit. 

Bad weather today though, so its time to be tourons and walk around in Seward...hopefully the weather improves in a day or two so we can get in a few more tours at Turnagain before heading for Valdez.

-Pete & Becky
Wooooooo!!  Excellent -- anytime y'all need up-to-the-minute weather, give us a buzz.

Wow, great to read an Alaskan report!  Much, much more around Turnagain, check with the locals about that and the Girdwood Valley (Chugachs) or accessing the slopes above Anchorage (accessing from upper Huffman Rd - Chugach's again).  Another easily accessible area is the Independence Pass area, out of Palmer (on the way to Valdez, just 45 miles from Anchorage on the highway towards Glenallen)- to say nothing of the greater Valdez area (unlimited slope and glacier skiing), on each side of Thompson Pass.  Keep up the reports, they bring back great memories of many past trips.  Pictures would be really appreciated by everyone down here!  Thanks,  GerryH

Yaah Pete and Becky!!!

Way to go get some AK action. Throw up some pics when you get the chance.

What a fantastic tour and it's only a few days into your trip!  :)

Sorry I missed your phone call the other night.   

I've still got my fingers crossed for good weather.  Keep up the trip reports and pictures please!  ;D

Q

Reply to this TR

april-29-2007-tincan-at-turnagain-pass-alaska
Pete A
2007-05-01 10:12:30