Home > Trip Reports > April 28/29, Mt. Adams

April 28/29, Mt. Adams

4/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Eli3 on 4/30/07 8:34am
With a good forecast for southern washington, Dave, Clayton, Eric and myself headed south for adams.  We drove up the road until about 4,000' (~5 miles or so from cold springs).  We broke off the road after a few miles, and just skinned straight to treeline up the drainage, camping at 7,000 feet or so.  We went to bed under a calm, star filled sky...  We woke up around 5 to get packing, but the wind was blasting, the barometric pressure had dropped 80mBar overnight, nasty clouds appeared to the west, and a nice sized lenticular had made itself comfortable over the summit; back to bed it was!  We kept checking, but the wind never died and the lenticular stuck around until 10 or so when we decided to head down.  Everything was still pretty frozen (and it was pretty chilly) until about 5000 feet, and the wind was pretty fierce.  Of course, on our drive home, we looked back and saw the lenticular had cleared, although it was most likely pretty windy up high, as it was gusting 20-30knots on 141.
Bummer Eli, Jerry and I were thinking about you guys. We thought you would have had much better weather than us. We were talking about Hidden Lakes Peak Friday. Jay

Bummer! A couple friends and I considered doing Adams this weekend, but were thwarted in part due to an unexpected injury. Sitting at home nursing my knee, I watched the weather evolve, culminating in this from Camp Muir: At ~7 am, winds averaged 92 mph, with gusts to 125 around 8 am. Since the wind was straight out of the southwest, you could've just skied up the South Spur without skins.... The preceding NWS forecast for Rainier consistently predicted high winds for Sunday, but nothing quite that beefy. 

Thanks for the beta.  Were you able to start skinning as soon as the road became impassable?

I'm weighing a trip down there this weekend.  The weather service has now changed its tune and is predicting a ridge of high pressure to edge in on Saturday/Sunday, so perhaps things might work. 

If anyone else is considering a trip and interested in carpooling down from Seattle, send me a message.  Gas is powerful expensive theseadays and I figure we might as well warm the globe a bit less.

no, there wasn't continuous snow until a few miles up the road...

Reply to this TR

april-28-29-mt-adams
Eli3
2007-04-30 15:34:46