Home > Trip Reports > 4-28-07, Silver Star Glacier Col (8,400)

4-28-07, Silver Star Glacier Col (8,400)

4/28/07
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by MW88888888 on 4/30/07 6:59am
Day 45
Silver Star Glacier Col (8,400)
4-28-07
VF skied: 5,000

It rained all night.

The past couple of days were spent reviewing satellite imagery loops, detailed forecasts and the ever changing To Do list, trying to align a desired destination with the optimal weather window for my last Big Day in Washington.  The weekend looked like it would be a cloudy, showery affair along the west slope and south side of the state, while the east side looked better (as always), with no showery weather predicted.  With a SW flow predicted, we looked hard at our To Do list, trying to pry out an east side giant to take advantage of the suspected rain shadow that would form on Saturday provided by the Cascade crest.  Then we got word on Friday that the North Cascades Highway opened on Thursday €“ some two weeks early.  That sealed the deal €“ what on the east side of the Route 20 would be good?  Silver Star!

Ron picked me up at 10:30 pm on Friday night and we made the trailhead by 2:30 am.  The whole way there, it rained.  Hard.  Even as we climbed up and over Washington Pass and crossed the Cascade crest, it kept raining.  So much for 30% chance of showers.  Maybe the rain shadow was slow in forming or maybe the rain was the front moving through.  Either way, we were here, and we were going skiing. 

We took off the head rests in his Element and €œrested€ for a couple of hours, listening to the pitter-pat of raindrops on the roof of the car.  Regardless of how ineffectual a jacket and one of Soren€™s old car seat blankets was at keeping out the cold, I was comfortable enough not to want to respond to the first rays of light.  Then I listened - and heard no rain.  Yikes!  A quick look at the sky showed misty clouds and spots of blue sky.  Wow.  We staggered out of the car, donned packs and set out up the slope above the highway toward Silver Star basin at 5:30 am or so.

The first 1,000 VF were through a steep forested hillside with 3-4€™ of snow pack, allowing skiing to the road, but not pretty or fun skiing.  We then plodded along Silver Star Basin, the crux of the snowboarding route, as a stream crossing and flats made this section a mandatory portage.  A mile of crappy, dirty snow brought us to the headway of the basin and the start of an otherworldly climb into the stratosphere above 6,000 feet. 

The rain from the night before proved a wonderful gift as we found boot deep powder along the open bowls below the Silver Star glacier, breaking trail in a smooth, inviting landscape below magnificent crags.  There was a gully/couloir dropping directly off the upper glacier which gave us pause.  It was steep, and appeared to have crevasses and glide cracks forming on its tumult down from above, but we tucked that option in our hat for the descent and moved on, looking for the easiest and safest trail to the top.

Now, nearing noon, we were on the glacier proper and the sun was definitely out for good.  Neither Ron nor I had packed adequate sun protection - we were so worried about rain, who would have thought we€™d have to prepare for sun stroke?

Below us, a speedy skier caught us on the flats just below the final headwall €“ the first people we€™d seen all day.  Behind him, far below, we could see a train of people following. 

People are funny creatures.  As we watched the line of skiers make their way below, the head skier stopped, de-skinned, and skied the mid section of the upper bowl, stopping at a lower switch-back where others were still skinning up.  When the €œnew€ first skier reached us as we ourselves were topping out at the col, we found out the skier who descended was not part of the group, and just wanted to get first tracks before we (the highest pair of climbers on the mountain) or the fast approaching skiers behind had an opportunity to get first tracks.  With such an ugly display of selfishness, I guess it was no wonder he was skiing alone!

Anyway, the pair who took over lead caught us on the headwall, with the usual pleasantries, and topped out minutes before us just after 1 pm.  We didn€™t even bother with a tag of the summit, as the word we heard was the last bit was technical and not that great of a climb.  The skiing was the focus of this run anyway, not the peak bagging.  And the skiing ahead, holy cow!  We waited as the first pair dropped into the couloir (following the etiquette of MOST backcountry skiers), then made our own tracks down the untracked headwall.

Unbelievable!  Boot deep, dry powder €“ in late April!  We cruised the upper glacier, splashing powder around, and then dropped down our route we spied on the way up.  This was a highlight of the tour as nervous tension faded to fulfilling accomplishment as we ogled the line we just scored.

An easy slog across the Silver Creek Basin floor followed, leading to the steep 1,000 foot headwall above the road.  Thankfully, the warm air softened up the snow, but still, it was utilitarian turns in the hard dirty snow.

Arriving at the car again at 3:30 pm, we could enjoy a leisurely drive back across the North Cascades National Park, ogling all the lines buried in their winter blankets.     
There be a mighty amount of turns in them thar hilz. Awesome  ;D

That col saw alot of traffic on Saturday, and there were still parties making it up the track during those photos.

No less than 10 million people have commented on how sunburned my face is today.

Nice TR and photos.  I'll look forward to your reports from the Rockies.

The best,

Zap

Reply to this TR

4-28-07-silver-star-glacier-col-8-400
MW88888888
2007-04-30 13:59:05