Home > Trip Reports > 4/29 Snoqualmie Peak--Lookin' down the Slot

4/29 Snoqualmie Peak--Lookin' down the Slot

4/29/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by jt on 4/30/07 2:47am
My friend Einar and I set our sights on skiing Slot Couloir on this day and began booting our way toward the Phantom waterfall a little after 9am under cloudy sky but otherwise good conditions. Booting was faster and easier than skinning since it is basically a staircase all the way to the summit and the snow is not continuous in the trees climber left of the Phantom. Summiting around 11:30, we were treated to less than inspiring conditions€”fog, wind, and snow that was frozen solid. We put on every item of clothing we had, hunkered behind some rocks, and waited optimistically for the sun to shine and the snow to soften. By about 12:30, we gave in and skied down to Slot€™s entrance still surrounded by fog and side-slipping the icy slope. At the entrance we took off our skis and peered down the opening pitch. Skier tracks from the day before were frozen solid and to ventured even a step or two into the run would have required crampons to avoid slipping. We chose sanity over suicide, chalked it up as a good workout, and worked our way down Snoqualmie€™s mellower west flanks, back to the Phantom and into the woods where one small section required carrying skis then arrived back to the car for cold beverages, some lunch, and an afternoon of lift-served backcountry at Alpental in mushy, but fun conditions. For anyone else interested in hitting Slot before it€™s gone, there is still time and plenty of snow, but it may vanish fast, especially in the entrance.
Greg and I saw you guys on the way up and wondered if you actually dropped into the slot.  Four of us tracked up the slot pretty well on saturday, so I bet the turns would have been pretty heinous.  We waited about an hour longer about 200 yards from you keeping our eyes down the crooked whenever there was a clearing.  The snow was pretty firm but we decided to drop in straight off the summit through some pock marked snow.  It was still pretty hard snow to about 5000 feet over the next roller, but it was perfectly smooth, so the skiing was alright.  There isn't much left at the bottom of the crooked couloir, but it was much softer and the ski down to the bottom of the basin was just right. 

After sitting on the summit for 2 hours, our ski down was about 10 minutes.  We changed back into T-shirts and head up and over to the phantom to the glop.  It got very sunny after our ski and we wished we waited another hour...not too bad of a place to hang out!

Glad you were able to get yours. We didn't feel like being patient enough since we wanted to hit some runs on the lifts. Had Slot not had frozen tracks, it would have been side-slip and jump turnable to around the bend, but as was the frozen grooves would have made it hard to stay upright. It would be great to hit it on a powder day!

Reply to this TR

4-29-snoqualmie-peak-lookin-down-the-slot
jt
2007-04-30 09:47:53