Home > Trip Reports > April 28, 2007, - Hoodoo Butte/Sand Peak Area, OR

April 28, 2007, - Hoodoo Butte/Sand Peak Area, OR

4/28/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by stoudema on 4/30/07 12:40am
With only a few hours to make some turns before heading to the coast for the weekend for my anniversary with my wife, I headed up to Hoodoo Ski area.  I left the parking lot in the early morning to firm snow and smooth skinning.  The original goal was to ride Sand Peak - about 4 miles from Hoodoo.  I skinned most of the way there, but basically ran out of time (and the snow was getting sparse for skinning).  I decided to turn around and go for Hoodoo Butte.

After climbing up Hoodoo, the views were great.  Jefferson and Three Fingered Jack to the north, with Mt Washington & the Sisters to the south.  The climb was hard though, as the snow was slop and I sank in about 8 inches with every step.  The ride back down the north side of the ski area was fun.  It's time to head for the higher country for better snow and conditions.  Here's a few pics.....the 1st is Mt Washington & Three Sisters..........2nd is Sand Peak from near the base..........3rd is Mt Jefferson & Three Fingered Jack from atop Hoodoo Butte....
Did you see anyone on the top of Hoodoo?  We spoke to a guy from Sisters up there.  Was that you? 

I skiied down that north run too.  Not too shabby up high but a bit wet and sloppy down low.  Wish I would've gotten up earlier before the snow deteriorated.  In regards to describing the snow conditions in the TR, couldn't have said it better myself. 

XCJer,

No that wasn't me, I must have just missed you.  I spent most of my time wandering aimlessly out towards Sand Peak, before I realized I wasn't going to have time to ride it and get back to the valley to head to the coast with my wife ;)

The snow was pretty good.  They'll get a little today and tomorrow, but it'll go fast.

Reply to this TR

april-28-2007-hoodoo-butte-sand-peak-area-or
stoudema
2007-04-30 07:40:45