Home > Trip Reports > April 28, 2007, Jefferson Park Glacier

April 28, 2007, Jefferson Park Glacier

4/28/07
Posted by hipystix on 4/29/07 11:36am

Mt Jefferson, Jefferson Park Glacier.

The weather down south looked like it might be better so we decided to try something different.  On the map the north side of Jefferson didn't look "too bad" for a long day trip :).  From our car at 3600' it took us about 3.5 hours to reach the lower end of Jefferson Park.  The travel to the park was mostly on snow but with many twists and turns around tree wells.  The route finding was greatly aided by pre downloaded GPS waypoints!

From Jefferson Park the route was straight forward but the conditions where firm, skins just barley held.  At around 9000' we neared the bergschrund and decided to boot to a north ridge col at 9300'.  After a quick snack we started down at 3:00pm.  On the decent the top 500' stayed a bit grabby but it soon smoothed out.

Julie descending from the north ridge col.

The middle 2000' was great but the last 1000' to the park was a bit sloppy, normal spring skiing!

Mary at about 7400', near the transition off the glacier.

From the park we headed out via our up trail.  Total time out was about 3.5 hours from the 9300' high point.   A very nice but long day!
Nice pics! Did you leave from the Whitewater TH? Having gotten lost up there this weekend, I was wondering where you got the GPS waypoints?

Hi JoeMack, I used TOPO to draw out a route and then used the "GPS route" feature to create waypoints.  I picked a route that that favored areas more likely to hold snow.  It more or less folowed the trail but with a couple of variations.  I can send you the waypoints I used if you like.

Reply to this TR

april-28-2007-jefferson-park-glacier
hipystix
2007-04-29 18:36:03