Home > Trip Reports > Diamond Pk, OR, April 28, 2007

Diamond Pk, OR, April 28, 2007

4/15/07
OR elsewhere
Posted by Boot on 4/29/07 5:36am
After long debates on where and what, probability of "summer" sun  8) in Oregon won out and we headed for Diamond.  FSR2149 is snow free to a little less than one mile from Corrigan Lk TH and snow free to the PCT connector (3630) @4646', and actually provides a more direct route up and ride down.  This south facing trail was dirt for about a mile to 5640' where we switched to boots and snowshoes ascending the SW ridge to subpk 8421' and enjoyed a beautiful ridge climb to the 8744' summit while gawking @ Bachelor, BT, and Sisters on our right, and the huge SW bowl to our left.  The East and North bowl beckoned to be ridden another day.  The ride down the main bowl was fast summer corn  ;D, the traverse around the SW ridge was sloppy, but easy, and the rest of the ride to snowline was fun glades.  Great to be in shorts and tees on a big mtn in April!
Looks nice.  Is it too early to ask how much snow will be left on the southern volcanoes, such as McLaughlin, in June?

author=telemack link=topic=6965.msg27961#msg27961 date=1177909127]
Looks nice.  Is it too early to ask how much snow will be left on the southern volcanoes, such as McLaughlin, in June?

Boot, Nice Job getting in there.  We were 3 miles to the east of you on Red Top 6400' between D'Peak and Crescent lake to the East.  You had the goods!  great shot of the big bowl/ridge with with W'Pass Hill in the background.

Telemack,  At 6400' with N.-exposure we had 7' of snow pack.  My bet is this will be around for another 6weeks.  In the most protected bowls we be getting our July 1st turns...no problem!  McLaughlin is further south but....should be good for a while!

author=telemack link=topic=6965.msg27961#msg27961 date=1177909127]

Brenda and I usually make an annual pilgrimage to Roseburg to visit my parents on 4th of July weekend. We always find plenty of snow up around Mt Thielsen, even in a low snow year. This year should be no different. The Sister's hold snow even longer.

Useful replies, thank ewe.  We are going to Ashland for some Shakespeare the last week of June and I thought I'd duck off for some volcano corn.

"To turn or not to turn, that is the question."

Telemack--I think Oregon has slightly less snow at lower elevations this year over last, but plenty deep above 5500'.  I did McLaughlin last year in early June and there was snow at the trailhead, but road was just open.  I don't know, but would bet the road will open in May this year.  There is lots of snow on the North side long into summer.

telemack and other SO skiiers-
here's a pic SE ridge/summit of McLoughlin (hope this shows up- this is my 1st post)
brown looked OK across the way

had a week of too warm weather last week, corn was turning deep/sloppy early on (late am) and lower down didn't freeze.

this week though its been raining/snowing on/off all week, which should augment that base.  the snowline on the S side of Mc seemed to be around 5500-6000.  Crappy bushwacking last 1000 or so ft down to hwy 140

everything around here above 7K should be good for a few more weeks.  by late june, not so sure...
happy skiing

Reply to this TR

diamond-pk-or-april-28-2007
Boot
2007-04-29 12:36:02