Home > Trip Reports > April 21, 2007, Spearhead Passage Backcountry race

April 21, 2007, Spearhead Passage Backcountry race

4/21/07
Posted by Spin Fast on 4/24/07 8:22am
I debated about posting this on the backcountry trip report page as it's more of a race report that took place in the backcountry; but maybe one or two may find it interesting, or at least pretty absurd.

Saturday marked the 2nd annual Spearhead Passage backcountry ski race up at Whistler. Starting at the Roundhouse Lodge, the 27km alpine course traversed over to Symphony Bowl, past Flute, down Oboe to Singing Pass and then climbed to the top of Whirlwind Peak, (just past Fissile), at which point racers turned around and retraced the course with a ski down Flute, skin up to the Whistler T-bar and back to the Roundhouse.

Always a bit curious about rando racing, I believed this would be a perfect way to get my feet wet. My feet are now very sore. At the starting line I realized I was a bit out my league; kind of like showing up to a road race on a mountain bike with slicks. Not surprisingly, of the 28 racers I was one of maybe three or four on tele gear. The majority were here to kick some serious vertical butt, with AT setups that could not have weighed more than a couple pounds...boots, skis, bindings and all. And because the event organizers are trying to make this an international event, we were graced with some of the fastest rando racers in the world. Hailing from Spain and Slovakia with names like Kilian Jornet Burgada and Mireia Miro Varelathese, these mutants (I mean that in a good, athletic way of course) were clad in skin suits and packs so small I found it hard to believe they could fit all the mandatory gear.

We were very fortunate with the weather: partly cloudy skies in the morning and high clouds in the afternoon couldn't hide the stunning views of the coast range. Cool temps and fast snow were recipes for a pretty perfect day of racing.

At 8:30 the gun sounded and off we went...running...with skis on. Initially I wasn't sure what to do as I typically don't run in my tele gear. But being a bit competitive myself I decided to give it a try as I was here to race afterall. My heart rate spiked...to fast. It didn't take long for the pack to string out, nor for the mutants to disappear into the distance.

It took me about an hour to reach Singing Pass. The snow was basically frozen crust the entire way; great for racing, bad for skiing. I quickly realized that fat skis really suck when skinning downhill. I was passed by a couple guys on skinny skis but told myself I would catch them on the long uphill to Whirlwind...not. I reached Whirlwind in two hours, pretty much exhausted but retaining what I thought was maybe a top-10 position. The hardest part of race was climbing the rope-assisted, vertical wall of Whirlwind,  a point in the race in which you're completed worked over but have to kick step and focus on holding the rope. Otherwise you'll tumble what felt like a hundred feet but was more like ten.

Oh, I forgot to mention the top-three were up and heading back from Whirlwind in under a hour and half. Yes, mutants.

SNOW REPORT: the first 500 ft of skiing from Whirlwind consisted of maybe 6 inches of very nice powder. Thoughts of taking a quick detour over to the Banana Chute on Fissile crossed my mind more than once.

Onwards...

By the time I began climbing back out of Singing Pass I was really pretty damn tired. But again, this was a race and fortunately there was another guy maybe one minute behind me who forced me to just keep chugging along. A couple double-shot caffeinated Clif Shots and a lot of mindless yapping with myself was all I could do to keep going and going despite the very obvious signs I was beginning to bonk.

But all good things must come to an end as I crested that last hill, that tingling sensation you feel only after pushing yourself beyond what you thought was previously possible, swept through my body. My feet were thrashed, it felt like a hundred degrees out, I was hungry and thirsty,  I had just raced through some utterly spectacular terrain I should have been skiing on, but I was completely content. It was time for a beer.

My time of 3:30 was enough for 10th place. The winners completed the course in an amazing 2:26 or something. The top woman, who was also from Spain, finished in 3:19 I believe.

Obviously not everyone is into such events, but I'm a firm believer that competitive sports are good for the mind and body. Obviously you don't need to race to test your limits, but rarely will you find yourself on the edge both mentally and physically...

Ian

Thanks for the report!  I was wondering how the race went.  Looks like you had great weather.

Nice work, Ian. 10th is damn good in that crowd - when I saw the list of confirmed participants included Chris Kroger, Peter Svatojanski, the Traslins, Benedikt Bohm, Karin Kingsley, etc. it seemed like it might be pretty hard core. What I wonder is how they keep from fogging their goggles while skinning with their heart rates pegged.

Nice work!!! Next year with the lighter gear and the fancy tights you'll go so fast your goggles won't fog either. Very respectable run keep it up.

Damn fine work!!!! I waved at you when you went by. I was amazed that you could make that big rig move that fast.
I wattled in two hours + after you, on another heavy tele rig. Spanked me good. Seemed harder than last time, and I was even slower (14 minutes). Still not too much shame since I got 7 hard days of tele before that without rest, still no excuses. Snow was hard and crappy, the NW face of Fissle was good two days before though. Will be nice when it warms up and corns up.
Was amazing to see that Euros, they lobbed one hour off the winning time from last year, truly remarkable. A totally different game with them around.
GregL - They use Visors that are helmet mounted. The other thing is that they don't seem to breathe hard when they run uphill, ski uphill, whatever. It would not suprise me if they did not sweat, ever, not even in a sauna in Florida in August.
I am not sure about next year, seems like it is getting pretty serious. Not sure how much they want a slow guy involved with no chance/desire to win.

Thanks.

Those euros were crazy. I keep thinking about the distance and how quickly they completed that course. Nuts. Part of me was almost hoping for nasty slushy conditions...would have benefited those of us on fatter boards!

Till next year...maybe.

author=jdclimber link=topic=6939.msg27850#msg27850 date=1177477265]
Damn fine work!!!! I waved at you when you went by. I was amazed that you could make that big rig move that fast.

jdclimber: I should mention that one remote possibility for being able to move at a decent pace is that I'm hiking on a pair of BD 01 telemark bindings, the ones that have a free pivot similar to AT. I can't tell you how much energy this saves over the "old-school" style. Granted, one of these bindings probably weighs about the same as an entire AT/racing setup but it's a start. In a couple years I think all tele'ers will wonder why it took so long for such technology to be fed to the masses.

Is there a results listing anywhere?  There were at least three races I heard:  one from base of Whistler to the Roundhouse, one short course up top, and the race Ian describes, more?

author=silaswild link=topic=6939.msg27877#msg27877 date=1177596359]
Is there a results listing anywhere?  There were at least three races I heard:  one from base of Whistler to the Roundhouse, one short course up top, and the race Ian describes, more?

Silas - I can't find results anywhere either, but here is the site detailing the three different races - http://www.wbfj.ca/tnf_raceseries.html.

The more races you entered the better your chances were of winning schwag, which was piled high at the awards ceremony. North Face must have given away a dozen packs, tents and sleeping bags alone. I think everyone walked out of there with something.

The organizators sure blew the promotional part, the least they could do was to post the results on their website. Anyhow a friend of mine was emailed the Spearhead Passage results from Delena Angrignon [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.]. I imagine she can supply you with results of the other two races as well.
I am attaching a screenshot of the PDF as a picture (it is easier to read than the unformatted text below).

Plain text results:
The North Face Spearhead Passage
April 21 st , 2007
RACE JURY & WEATHER TECHNICAL DATA
Race Chairman: Jayson Faulkner Start Elevation: 1850m
Course Designer: Scott Flavelle Finish Elevation: 1850m
Temperature: 5
degree celsius Course Length: 26 km
Weather: Sunny Climbing: 2150m
Snow Conditions: Hard Packed Descending: 2150m
Start Time 8:40 am
MENS RACING