Home > Trip Reports > Hurricane Ridge area, April 21

Hurricane Ridge area, April 21

4/15/07
WA Olympics
Posted by ovrthhills on 4/23/07 2:13am
After sitting out the entire winter because of a serious shoulder injury and surgery, I decided it was time to go skiing again despite dire warnings from  my medical community.  Scotsman, Blitz, Sidnie and I set out for Hurricane ridge under threatening skies with Klahane ridge as our objective.  We reached the trailhead at 4500 ft and discover snow still  down to the road.  From the road we booted up the steep south facing slope, following steps nicely frozen from a couple of previous skiers. It began spitting snow and a cold wind kept us moving.  After a 1500ft climb we reached Klahane ridge and dug a pit on the north side above the bowl.  We found a rain crust about 12 inches down with faceted crystals but it was bonded well enough to survive a shovel compression test.  There was also a 1.5 inch crust on top.  I went first and immediately was re-acquainted with breakable crust and fell after a couple of cautious turns.  The rest of  the crew skied  the 500ft bowl  with better results and we all skinned back up  to the ridge.  The slope back to the car had softened nicely and was great skiing for 1500 ft :) through glades. 

After regrouping at the car we decided to head the rest of the way up to the Hurricane ridge lodge and try the Toilet Bowl run, about 1 mile west of the lodge.  The south slopes were starting to melt out so we opted for  the north slope which is a beautiful glade  with a series of benches for about 700 ft.  The snow was perfect corn with no breakable crust( perfect corn in the toilet bowl)  After a bunch of great turns we skinned back to the trail/road and back to the lodge.

It was great to be back in the mountains again. Everyone forgot their cameras but I took some pictures on my cell phone and will post them if I can retreive them.

Great day skiing and any day in the Olympics always feels so special as they are so unpopulated skier- wise.
Welcome back Michael, not bad for your first post surgery tour! ;D

It was great finding that  nice corn in the toilet bowl???

The olympics are great! I was in there myself this past weekend, although I must admit, I'd sure would like to see these so-called olympics :)? The weather was terrible and I couldn't see further than I could spit. Yet it was good enough to ski off the top of the SW Peak of Buckhorn, so I can't complain. I'll have to go to Hurricane Ridge sometime, too, as I haven't been there since I was a kid.

author=Jason_H. link=topic=6925.msg27794#msg27794 date=1177352972]
The olympics are great! I was in there myself this past weekend, although I must admit, I'd sure would like to see these so-called olympics :)? The weather was terrible and I couldn't see further than I could spit. Yet it was good enough to ski off the top of the SW Peak of Buckhorn, so I can't complain. I'll have to go to Hurricane Ridge sometime, too, as I haven't been there since I was a kid.
How did you access Buckhorn?  From the Quilcene side? Tell me more.  That SE slope looks inviting.

Big Quilcene Trail. Go about 4 miles or so up just before Marmot Pass (5.3 miles in). Turn straight up and climb a gully. It would be fun in corn snow but you'd have to hit it soon as it will melt out fast. The summit won't be skiable after  a few days sun, but that's only the top 100-ft or so.

http://www.cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/buckhorn/southface/DSC_0137.jpg

It's not nearly as bad as it looks. The couloir was never much over 35 degrees. This picture is from the summit where we patched a way down. This one is just off the pass which is a 100-ft below the summit:
http://www.cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/buckhorn/southface/DSC_0161.jpg

I thought that it made a great moderate descent.

Jason H.
Great Beta.  Send me a PM next time you want to go in the Olympics.  Maybe Baldy or Deception. 

M. Ellis

Jason H.,

Ive been on that trail to Marmot Pass and Buckhorn in the summer - its beautious.

The second half of the trail heads west to the pass and crosses huge scree slopes (several hundred feet of scree above and below you)  with some clumps of trees here and there.  My friend thought about taking some snow-shoers there in winter until I read her the trail book comments on monster avi slides when covered in snow.

Your pics are WAY COOL (and SCARRYYY) and deserve their own post!  Nice job.

Mike, thanks for the post - it was great fun up at Hurricaine!
and yah gotta love the CORN IN TOILET BOWL ;D

Jason  H:  goood yob on the Buckhorn ski; I never thought it would be doable off the top. 
N side of Buckhorn has lots of goods, probably accessed from Tubal Cain?

Reply to this TR

hurricane-ridge-area-april-21
ovrthhills
2007-04-23 09:13:14