Home > Trip Reports > April 21 Crystal to Chinook

April 21 Crystal to Chinook

4/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by NickD on 4/23/07 1:00am
After falling short in nasty conditions two weeks ago, RichB and I visited Chinook. Still lots of snow there. Naches appeared to be especially attractive--sorry no pictures. Less avy debris above the road (on south facing slopes) than normal at this time. In spite of Stimbuck's generous heads up, saw no signs of snow removal. Must be near Tipsoo or below.  We had a firm crust with 1 to 3 inches fresh and snowing on and off during day. Great downhill runs--groomer like conditions.
One group we met in Silver Basin, with similar plans, turned back due to difficult skinning. I had to do several boots on upper parts of a few climbs. Rich has fixed crampons, which is the only way to go, where my dynafits were floaters. Oh I longed for the days of Rainey fixed ones at that time.  Gotta figure out how to keep them in fixed mode. Suggestions dynafit mod experts?
Blue sucker holes when arriving at Chinook.  The main creek drainage, one climbs north off 410 about 1.5 miles east of the pass, is soon to be melted out. Growing holes. Mighty fine trip..
Agree about fixed ski crampons.  My research revealed 2 choices:  http://www.voile-usa.com/index.html and http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_48_186&products_id=623.  There's also a guy who makes a dynafit compatible crampon that has a little adjustable post attached to the top, which allows them to still work when you have the heel piece in a raised position.  Can't remember his contact info, but somebody on this site would know if you posted it as a question.

All that said, I have to mention that I have recently been touring with a couple of different tele skiers in very difficult conditions, neither of whom used ski crampons (while I did) and both of whom seemed to be able to go just about anywhere with impunity.  It must be that tele gear makes skinning easier, because there is no way those luddites could possibly have better skinning skills than us AT'rs, right?

Those tele skiers were likely not using any of the free pivot bindings that exist on the market (If they were then I do not know what I'm talking about). It seems that the one advantage to tele equipment (non free-pivot) while touring is the torsional rigidity while side-hilling. But that's about all I can think of at this time.

There are two other variables regarding the need for the ski crampons.

1. Sidecut--skis with lots of sidecut don't bite as well when sidehilling (from the standpoint of providing surface area for your skins to grab.)
2. Skins--if your skins are cut perfectly and only reveal the edge you can go a lot further without a ski crampon than if you have Frankenskins.

I'll bet your tele friends either had straigher skis or or snugger cut skins.

Quote:  It must be that tele gear makes skinning easier, because there is no way those luddites could possibly have better skinning skills than us AT'rs, right

That's NEO-LUDDITE to you, bro, and tele generally gets you developing the skills more.... 8) ;)

Tele rules.  I can't deny it.

Reply to this TR

april-21-crystal-to-chinook
NickD
2007-04-23 08:00:17