Home > Trip Reports > Kaleetan Peak tour April 20, 2007

Kaleetan Peak tour April 20, 2007

4/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cochise on 4/20/07 9:59am
Well what should a guy do when you can't find anyone to ski with on a beautiful Friday? Hmmm Kaleetan Peak I guess. I skied this once before, but, we came in from Denny Creek. I decided to go over Bryant Col after talking with Androolus. I left the parking lot at about 9am a late start for the route and the weather for today. As I climbed up to Great Scott Bowl the snow conditions and the occasional tree bombs had me feeling a little apprehensive about crossing under Bryant and heading up the col. I kept at it and made it to the col and started up. There was a lot of debris from all the sluff coming off the rock and trees and it was fairly soft, but, the snow felt good enough to keep going. I hit the top of the pass and pulled the skins for the ride down to Melakwa lake. Lots of debris on this side to. There was some good open slopes with a hard crust that skied with ease. It was quite fun. Before I hit the lake I cut to the right above the lake and there she was. The sun lit her up like a.......well.....a mountain in the sun. I wondered if I would have the same conditions and if I would make the summit. Oh well, Keep moving time is a wasting. I hit the base and started up and the snow is not too bad. Things are a little soft and quite nice skinning. Just before the top of the ridge off come the skis and I will boot it for about a 100vf. I figured it is quite steep when the Powder Hound kept trying to sit in my lap as I was kicking steps. The look in her eyes said it all. What the *%$# have you gotten me into? The last 30vf the snow changed.....a lot. About 10-12inches of light snow on top of a icy crust. I kicked deeper steps in to the ice crust and continued up on to the ridge. Ahhh the summit is in sight. Wow I might get to ski off the summit...not quite too many rocks for the last 20vf. Close enough. Had to boot it from there. The views from the summit were grand and a good place for a bite to eat and some high quality h2o. Not really it came from the tap. Where's Bobby Boushet when you need him? The clouds rolling by bought me some time as the temp dipped a little. Time to head down. The turns from the almost summit were great for skiing this time of year. Now to skiers left to deal with that light snow on the ridge. As I looked down the east face the voice of reason piped up...you know this is going to go don't you? As I dropped in as expected the first turn let her go. Wow look at that it cleared a great line  to the cliff edge below, perfect! Ahh nice turns down to the debris field below. Now what direction....after the snow conditions on Bryant I decided to head up Melakwa Pass and ski down to Chair Peak Lake. The cornice at the top looks to be in good shape and off I go in to about six inches of heavy Cascade powder. Fun turns all the way to Snowlake. Time to skin up and head across the lake. I had never been to snow lake before. Very pretty this time of year. Never skinned across a frozen lake before either. I had visions of Bear Grill in my head of what to do if you fall in freezing water. That was a big help. At the end of the lake it was up and over and down to source lake and out with the powder hound in tow. Sorry Powder Hound no deep stuff today just some corn, gwanch, and manky debris. To the truck and out by 230. What a gift to have this stuff in our back yard. What a gift to be able to ski and be in the mountains. Take care friends have a stellar weekend! Jay ;D  oops the pics http://climbingjay.smugmug.com/gallery/2737589#145361833

Nice solo Jay, don't forget to put me on your list of folks to call b4 u head out!

Reply to this TR

kaleetan-peak-tour-april-20-2007
cochise
2007-04-20 16:59:18