Home > Trip Reports > April 15, 2007, Decker Glacier

April 15, 2007, Decker Glacier

4/15/07
Posted by runningclouds on 4/16/07 1:02pm
Excellent conditions in Blackcomb backcountry on Sunday, April 15. Skied to Decker via East Circle Glacier. We were lucky that the excellent run on E Circle Glacier was shaded by clouds before our arrival. First tracks in reasonably good powder. The best skiing, however, was on North facing Decker Glacier. Powder: deep and sweet. Too bad the afternoon had some bad visibility with clouds moving in and out, bringing short whiteouts.

SNOW
Forecast was LOW from treeline to alpine with potential for CONSIDERABLE even HIGH with daytime warning. Thanks to the clouds the sun did not do too much damage. There was a spot on SE facing aspect below Circle Glacier that was wet and heavy by 10 AM and sliding when skied. That appeared to be an exception, I saw at least 12 people skiing various S aspect opposite Decker Glacier and they were not triggering anything. Everybody skied one at a time, good idea anytime.
We did trigger small slides on steep (45°) N aspect. One skier was knocked and went for a small ride. The slides were slow moving and did not run too far (100 ft) coming to a stop on 30° slope below. (see picture)

Forecast calls for a week of cool and unstable air mass with freezing levels not going above 1,200 m (3,930 ft). Next week could be another perfect winter day in the mountains.

More pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72157600084288569/
Great TR and photos.  I'm pleased to see a report from the Blackcomb backcountry.  I saw the forecast for last FR and SA's storm cycle but Jill had a medical appointment.  It was painful to sit at the terminal and see the report of 4" on FR and 9" on SA knowing there was more at higher elevations.  This weekend should be fun with the Backcountry event and all the sponsors at Whistler/Blackcomb.  We're planning a return trip after Whistler closes on the 22nd. 

Reply to this TR

april-15-2007-decker-glacier
runningclouds
2007-04-16 20:02:34