Home > Trip Reports > April 15, 2007, Crystal Mountain backcountry

April 15, 2007, Crystal Mountain backcountry

4/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 4/15/07 12:03pm
Conditions were pretty much as telemetry would indicate, according to one of my tay lurker friends, who joined me today.  That is, cold, foggy and breezy at 830AM, in and out sun with breeze most of the morning as we toured between 4400' and 6800'   Good exercise with the ski crampons above 5000', nice runs on dusted crust before noon, then more sun and quite skiable wet snow afternoon.  Only below 5000' did we find grabby heavier stuff with our skinny corn skis.

Ron J should be reporting what he and Jeanette found in their secret stash nearby.

Also snoslut (first snowboarder to appear on the ttips front page?!) and rickster, whose car we saw at the lot, and who were reported to be heading for Bullion Basin will have data for tomorrow's aspirants?
Silas

We missed you- tried calling a few times.  You probably wouldn't have liked the slopes, untracked, steep, pretty good snow- oh yeah that damned sun was out too.  We did talk to the 'MadDog'- we guessed she was skiing with Ron.  We also skied/boarded with a neighbor of yours(?) GregM.  We did run into another pair on our way out- Zenom(?).  Sometimes this big BC out there is a small world.

Maybe hook up another time.

Hey Silas where'd ya go??  We called you and the tay lurker on the radio??  We talked to Maddog and Ronj.

Was sure nice to have the weather turn for the better.  Yeah our group of Rickster and Gregm encountered an inch or two of wet fresh on a softening base as the day worn on.  Protected areas still held blower powder but turns were on the lighter side.  Some trees had some deep wind lips to slash through.  Just had to hunt and pray that whatever was underneath was soft and forgiving and it wasn't.  Carving in and out of tree wells is an art.  And so is wearing branches.

No secrets here, as we traversed toward Bullion Basin Ron and I decided to head to Hauser Peak.  The going was slow for me today as I forgot my ski crampons at home  :'(.  Would have been a great thing to have for the early hard conditions as we made our way up the steep part.  Don't know why the song "The old grey mare she ain't what she used to be" kept going through my head as I made my way to the top  ;).  It was a beautiful day with great ski conditions.  After a short break at the top, we had the best time in the silky conditions on the way down.  Nice talking with Eric via radio way across the valley.  Fun running into Silas and company in the morning.  Watched them as they strapped on their super fast turbo packs and were off, not to be seen again for the remainder of the day.  Upon returning to the car, we ran into Paul Russell and company as they also had finished their tour at Hauser.  A few photos HERE

Yes, a beautiful day in the Crystal backcountry  :)  Good to see you Ron and Jennette!  Creamy snow
on both sides of East Peak to 5700'.  Thanks to Cathy, Andrea, Melissa and Crystal for a great day... lots of smiles.

Yep, Paul, that certainly is a perky set of bright smiles you were skiing with.  That must have been what we were mistaking for sunbreaks up on Hauser, after we just missed all but one of your party on your second run to the east.   Small world, eh?

Silas, I only counted one lurker in your posse.  And nice to meet you J.C., although with initials like that it may have been more appropriate to have met you on the previous Sunday.  Silas, the other "usual suspect" you refer to as a "lurker", who shall remain nameless,  looked a lot to me like a regular TAY poster of far and wide acclaim.  So how many laps to White Pass did you guys manage to get in before dark?

At any rate, the MadDog and I managed to get in a nice mellow day in with some real sweet turns in on some of that creamy snow that Paul mentioned.
Here's a shot of her having her way with the slopes below Hauser:

I've posted a few more shots HERE.

author=ron j link=topic=6869.msg27658#msg27658 date=1176818897]
Silas, I only counted one lurker in your posse.  Silas, the other "usual suspect" you refer to as a "lurker", who shall remain nameless,  looked a lot to me like a regular TAY poster of far and wide acclaim. 

Ron, looks you read an extra into my post.  I mentioned only one lurker friend joining me, other lurker friends stayed home or skied their secret stashes.   Many regulars were in attendance however.

In any event, lurkers, suspects, regulars, newbies, all enjoyed the fine weather and delightful skiing.   Good prep for Crystal tayfest.  Let's hope the weather is as good.

You guys (ronj and silas) make me smile.  I have to agree that those are beautiful smiles in Paul's photo.  Glad you had a good day.  I'm just a tiny bit jealous.

Edit: April 15th, nevermind, I'm not jealous. ;D

author=silaswild link=topic=6869.msg27715#msg27715 date=1176947950]
Ron, looks you read an extra into my post...

That's the way it is with old people -- they hardly ever get it right  ;)

That's how it is with young people, too. 

author=skykilo link=topic=6869.msg27716#msg27716 date=1176948698]
Edit: April 15th, nevermind, I'm not jealous. ;D

oh sky, but you should be...  ;)

Reply to this TR

april-15-2007-crystal-mountain-backcountry
silaswild
2007-04-15 19:03:44