Home > Trip Reports > Apr 14, N. Slope Chair Pk

Apr 14, N. Slope Chair Pk

4/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by PeterC on 4/14/07 8:47am
Skied up into the basin below Chair Pk today.  Was raining at Source lake at around 8:30am, but quickly turned to snow as we ascended (or colder air moved in).  Just above Source Lake was quite grabby on the way down, but above that the skiing was actually nice (in a cascadian sort of way).  A foot or two of heavy loose snow that carved fairly well.  We called it quits at the 5360' notch because we couldn't see anything.  The sun was coming out as we headed home...  All in all a better day than expected.
Saw your tracks from the top of Great Scott...looked nice.

Thinking about heading up there soon (especially now that Alpental is closed for the season).  How was the stability?

betcha they will go longer at alpental.  they always extend it after they "close."

just heard they've added next weekend.....

We arrived at the parking lot at 11 to do this trip - it was pouring buckets.  Headed back to sunny Seattle with a sneaking suspicion it might have been actually nice up there.  Darn.

Stability was predictable - a foot or two of glop relatively smoothly bonded to the underlying snow.  I kicked off a small slough on a steep (45 degreeish) rollover just below the N. Face notch.  Other things of note - there seems to be a bit of a 'schrund opening up on the final slope up to the notch (wasn't a problem at all on Saturday but might become a hassle later?) and the final few feet to the notch were on slabby snow-covered rock (after I slipped down this section on my butt, scraping the snow off...).

Reply to this TR

apr-14-n-slope-chair-pk
PeterC
2007-04-14 15:47:50