Home > Trip Reports > 4/11/07 - Hump day Crystal bc, yeah it was good...

4/11/07 - Hump day Crystal bc, yeah it was good...

4/11/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 4/12/07 11:34pm
That I had to miss work and go play in the pow.

Some teasers...

Other Notes:
Mostly overcast skies with some filtered sun.  Wind was blowing top to bottom from many directions.  Regardless of aspect, certain exposed terrain was wind blasted to the point that chicken heads were being revealed.  Ridge lines displayed doubled sided cornices in some areas.  Navigating the ridge line was interesting to say the least.  I tested 2 slope aspects with one jump, which resulted in a thud with little to no activity.

A variety of snow, in various depths, was encountered on varying aspects.  Viva!  From knee deep wind packed to boot deep cold smoke, certain protected terrain yeilded the best results.  Certain because the winds reach was mighty.  Even some tree'd areas had been scoured to a hideous crust regardless of aspect.  Lots of breakable and unbreakable crust which at times was soft but at times firm.  Sometimes shaded areas had deep pow and sometimes it had none.  Yup skinning was still interesting and eventually booting proved more efficient at times.

Somewhere inbetween, good quality powder was consumed.  By days end, lower down on our exit run the crust gave way to butta w/ a dab of honey.  Back at the cars with Guinny's in hand, laying back to music reflecting on the pow day we just had...near mid April. 8) :) :D ;D
A nice day !  Your description of the conditions were perfect.  On Tuesday, April 10, Jill and I were downhill skiing at Stevens Pass and your description applied.  We found most troughs and depressions held boot deep powder and ridgelines were crusty.  Powder in mid April is always a treat.  :D

Reply to this TR

4-11-07-hump-day-crystal-bc-yeah-it-was-good
snoslut
2007-04-13 06:34:18