Home > Trip Reports > April, 2007, Chinook Pass Area

April, 2007, Chinook Pass Area

4/15/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stimbuck on 4/11/07 7:00am
Stimbuck here from WSDOT Avalanche.

Snow removal along Hwy 410 began this week (from the east gate above Morse Creek) and snow removal along Hwy 123 began a couple of weeks ago as well.  Avalanche control activities will begin next week.  We want to remind backcountry users that the areas above and below both sections of highway are quite hazardous due to these activities.  Avalanche control  may be conducted with explosives or ski cutting techniques.  These activities can have widespread effects, so it's best to avoid the slopes above and below Highway 410 from Cayuse to the East gate near Morse Creek.

I'll try to keep TAY updated on our progress and snowpack observations.  I can't begin to guess on an opening date at this time, though we strive for Memorial Day Weekend.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Cheers,

Stimbuck

Thanks for the heads-up, Stimbuck.
We appreciate your updates.

I'd like to volunteer for the ski cutting! Save the state and taxpayers a few bucks you know!
Actually I have great respect for for DOT crews. Ive met quite  a few of them through my job as a contractor at the various DOT yards around the state.  They do a tough job in tough conditions to keep our routes to the mountains safe.
Thanks again for the work and update.

Reply to this TR

april-2007-chinook-pass-area
Stimbuck
2007-04-11 14:00:38