telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/23/19, 02:27 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  April 2007 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  april 9, 2007, 3 way peak/crystal basin
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: april 9, 2007, 3 way peak/crystal basin  (Read 1929 times)
allyson

april 9, 2007, 3 way peak/crystal basin
« on: 04/10/07, 05:41 PM »

knowing that i've been deprived of washington mountains for the past 8 months, monika agreed to take me on a short tour on monday morning.  at 6 am, she called to report that the telemetry looked best down south, so we headed to crystal.  the weather was blustery and snowing when we arrived in the crystal parking lot around 9:15, and after some fumbling around with gear (more so on my part than monika's) we began skinning up under the quicksilver lift by around 10.

the snow was pretty solid underneath our skis, but there was a nice soft fluffy 2" or so that had accumulated already.  at the top of the lift, we followed the trail through the woods to where the crystal basin opened up.  at that point, the snow had stopped and we were beginning to see sunny skies above.  here we discovered about 4-6" of new on top of a very consolidated base.

we continued skinning up towards the saddle adjacent to 3 way peak at ~6500'.  after a few pictures (which i'll post when i find the cord to my camera in my luggage), monika lept off the ridge into the clean line below, making graceful turns.  my virginia legs did not allow me to look so graceful when it was my turn... Roll Eyes  the stuff on top was nice and soft, but the stuff underneath was a bit chunky and grabby in the infamous cascade style--but i was happy to be in winter anyway.  Cheesy

after skiing down about 1900' to almost the bottom of the basin, we decided to make one more lap from a slope just above us.  at this point the clouds rolled in and the snow began falling once again, with a little more gusto this time.  we climbed another 600' and hid from the wind behind a rock outcropping while changing modes.  the light was a little flat on this descent, but the turns were still a blast.

we finished with a fast ego-boosting run underneath the quicksilver chair, and were back at the car by 1:30pm.  thanks monika for a great girls day out!  i was really glad to try out my backcountry legs again after a long hiatus, and loved spending the day back in the cascades in good company.   Cool

snowshoe?? why would you??
gregL

Re: april 9, 2007, 3 way peak/crystal basin
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/07, 09:23 PM »

Great to see you back in town, Allyson! I know how you feel, I spent years away from the Cascades back in my "ambitious" youth. Hope to see you again sooner rather than later.
ron j

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/07, 09:46 PM »

Great choice of partners, Ally.
It's good to see you back playing in the cascade wonderlands and it was sooooper seeing you at the GT class Tueday nite.
Hope to see you again b4 you leave.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Monika

« Reply #3 on: 04/11/07, 10:23 PM »

Really nice to get more winter weather with you Ally.   You did great out there.

the ski pic looks like pretty good Virginia legs to me  Wink

* 3Way.JPG (77.23 KB, 500x375 - viewed 426 times.)

* Ally.JPG (79.05 KB, 400x300 - viewed 415 times.)
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.