Home > Trip Reports > April 5, South Side Old Chute, Mt. Hood

April 5, South Side Old Chute, Mt. Hood

4/15/07
OR Mt Hood
Posted by bc44caesar on 4/9/07 4:55am
I decided to skip work for a day because of the fantastic weather forecasted for Thursday and go climb and ski Mt. Hood.  Slept in the lot Weds night and ended up sleeping in until after five.  I left the lot at 6am and started skinning up the mountain making it to just below Crater Rock before it became more efficient to start booting.  A guided group was making their way up the Mazama Face, so after heading part way up the Hogsback, I decided it would be faster to follow their nice boot track.  It was, and I topped out 3.5hrs after leaving the lot.  No weather anywhere, but great views all around! 

I skinned back to the top of the Old Chute since the traverse to the summit was somewhat treacherous, tore off the skins, and then carefully side-stepped down the upper 30 ft of icy sastrugi until I got onto skiable snow.  From there on down to below Crater Rock the snow was fantastic and pleasantly steep...perfect for ripping tele turns!  I may have let a few shouts of joy out on the way down even...

Below Crater Rock it was windblown ice and pretty unpleasant, but once down to the Palmer Lift it was fresh tracks on the freshly groomed snowfield back to the car since the lift hadn't opened yet.  Took about 4.5hrs RT.

As a side note, somehow my avy probe became separated from my pack, so if anyone sees a BD Probe in an orange sack on Hood and feels like returning it, well, I'd sure appreciate it.  ;)
Nice! Way to work the mid-week days!

Is the Old Chute the one west/left of the standard route, Pearly Gates I think?  And how long do you think, generally speaking, the route will stay skiable?  I got whited-out off Hood once on foot and would love to ski it.

There's a cascadeclimbers.com thread that should answer all possible questions of "where is this Old Chute and why do I want to go there." Summation: for some reason, things are shaping up this winter/spring such that Pearly Gates has a short waterice step, so people and resultant bootpacks are heading up Old Chute instead.

Yeah, good info about that on cc.com.  I talked to another fellow that climbed it on Sunday and conditions were such that they could only ski from the bottom of the Hogsback down.  Hit or miss on the volcanoes I guess...

author=wolfs link=topic=6812.msg27446#msg27446 date=1176250439]
There's a cascadeclimbers.com thread that should answer all possible questions of "where is this Old Chute and why do I want to go there." Summation: for some reason, things are shaping up this winter/spring such that Pearly Gates has a short waterice step, so people and resultant bootpacks are heading up Old Chute instead.

Yah, I saw that on cc.com last week.  Thanks

Reply to this TR

april-5-south-side-old-chute-mt-hood
bc44caesar
2007-04-09 11:55:44