Home > Trip Reports > April 08, 2007, Crooked Couloir, Snoq Mtn

April 08, 2007, Crooked Couloir, Snoq Mtn

4/8/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Kenji on 4/8/07 3:27pm
Drove up to try Mt Defiance, only to find the road blocked by a concrete barrier.  Instead joined four other Slot skiers on Phantom, then continued to the summit.  Some low clouds around, but plenty of sunshine as you can see in the first photo.  The Red looked like a part of Alpental with so many ski tracks. 

The summit ridge had a nice break in the cornice into the north slope, though it was a bit crusty first, then got much better lower.  I hate to say, but the couloir may not last much longer.  Water is running over the rock on skier's right.  The middle is getting pretty narrow.  If you are aggressive, you can probably shoot straight the section while there is enough snow below.  As I came out, saw two skiers in the Slot (tiny dots in the third photo).  Short, but nice day!

My fish-scaled Guide did pretty well today (downhill).  Light but predictable, great in softer snow.  Not bad for $300 MSRP.
Wow, the photo of Red provokes thoughts about the state of the backcountry...without judgement of course.  I like your Defiance idea, doubt it looked like Red solitudewise, yet just as accessible when the road is in.
John

Nice to meet you Kenji.   I think Becky and I are the dots in your third photo.

The slot is still in decent shape.  The top 100vf was a little icy and crusty, but good enough to positively set an edge into and ski/sideslip.  Once at the dogleg, conditions improved to 6"-12" deep somewhat bumpy mank that was pretty easy to turn in.  There are a few holes starting to show up in the slot but they can be easily skied around.

Red Mtn. got a ton of traffic this weekend....was up there on Saturday and there were at least 10 people on their way up when we started skiing down around noon...I was surpised by the lack of avy debris on the face even after the hot weather on Friday.

Hi Pete, I think we met once on Van Trump several years ago.

At least, heavy skier traffic helps to stabilize the slope a bit; we can call it backcountry grooming ;)

Hi Kenji, good report.  Has your daughter done more freeheeling since Baker?

Reply to this TR

april-08-2007-crooked-couloir-snoq-mtn
Kenji
2007-04-08 22:27:13