Home > Trip Reports > April 8, 2007, Red Mtn. 5880+, Pt 5722 Cle Valley

April 8, 2007, Red Mtn. 5880+, Pt 5722 Cle Valley

4/8/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 4/8/07 1:31pm
See my Feb. 26, 2006 trip report for details on the approach to the main summit of Red Mtn. which is the northernmost.  Today we got a crack of ten AM start due to Justin C. joining me from Leavenworth.  The forecast for rain at Snoq. Pass pushed us east for an alternative.  Though I usually ski this area when snow is cold in midwinter, today we found surprisingly good Spring conditions, even with the late start.
On the NE run off the top of the main summit we had firm corn even at 1:00 PM down to about 4800 ft.  Here the aspect twists E/SE and had baked all morning in direct sun.  We sank into turnable glop about 6 or so inches to 4400 ft.  At 4400 ft. we put the skins back on to ascend the NE facing (northernmost) basin to Pt. 5722.  The slopes below 5722' are primarily all N/NE facing with lots of shade from cliffs above of the NE ridge of Pt. 5722.  Firm snow held in for the entire run (up to 2 or 3 inch penetration) down to the road intersection with the basin at 3800 feet.  My March 12, 2006 TR has a short description of this run.
Then it was the short road traverse back to the clearcut and quite gloppy and slow turns through it back to the Cooper River road.  Easy enough just kind of pointing them down on the gentler slope and dodging baby trees.
Surprisingly deep snowpack above 3200 feet that will hold in for a while in the clearcut, and 6 feet in the basin.  Today was probably the last day to ski the Cooper River road without taking the skis off.  And the strip of forest above the road and the bottom 400 vertical of the clearcut is getting pretty thin.  Some walking on the approach will be necessary by next weekend.  Still good skiing above for a couple more weeks.
Pictures are: the view from the top, Justin on the first run, and me low on the second run.   Yes those trees are deceptively leaning in the third pic. but the photographer assured me it was purely unintentional!

Reply to this TR

april-8-2007-red-mtn-5880-pt-5722-cle-valley
John Morrow
2007-04-08 20:31:59