Home > Trip Reports > May 10, 2003, Mt. St Helens

May 10, 2003, Mt. St Helens

5/10/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jeff Huber on 5/12/03 12:31pm
Skied St. Helens day prior to Mother day's, May 10th, 2003. The view Saturday am from Climber's bivy:

My typical TRs are exclusivly photos. Since Charles requests I post only one photo, here's my pathetic attempt at a more wordy TR:

Arrived in my gapermobile at Climber's bivy Friday evening about 8:30pm under slight rain and fog. Got about the 3rd-to-last parking spot in the upperlot. Jonathan, who's visiting from Boston, arrived a bit later.

Jonathan was quick to point out the gaperish mix of our ultra-light and heavy camping gear. We brought an ultra-light bibler tent but then negated that out with bedroom-stock fluffy purple pillows; we had ultra-light led headlamps but then a 10lb flashlight. Good thing our campsite was only 20 feet from the car . . .

Next morning left about 7:30am. We were in clouds between I think 5k to 6k--above that the sky was blue. Despite my snail-like pace (and hip flexor complaints) arrived on top around noon where we met James who donned a dress.

Up high the skiing was good corn but down low it was heavy.

The following day Jonathan met up with the uber-famous Ron J. Ron was kind enough to autograph a magazine photo of himself for me--which I will carefully keep next to my Fred Becky and Mark Twight books. Thanks Ron!

Jeff

PS: A TR with a bunch of photos can be seen here:
http://mtncommunity.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=131&forum=DCForumID7
Nice TR, Jeff.
Nice shots of the trip at the link, too.
But, uh... "uber-famous"?  
I'm not quite sure whether I should be blushing, snickering or snorting ;).  Maybe if I were better educated I might know.
What I do know is that junk mail catalog on which I wrote the note to you was not what I'd call a magazine, and none of the pictures of the bright eyed hardbodies in the catalog were me (damnit). So you might go easy on Becky and Twight... they might not nudge over that easy  ;D

But, uh... "uber-famous"?  
I'm not quite sure whether I should be blushing, snickering or snorting ;).  Maybe if I were better educated I might know.

Ah well after Charles you're the #1 poster here! This makes you uber-famous. See: http://www.turns-all-year.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=;action=mltop

Jeff

A somewhat dubious distinction, no doubt. ???

Reply to this TR

may-10-2003-mt-st-helens
Jeff Huber
2003-05-12 19:31:23