Home > Trip Reports > Snoqualmie Haute Route - March 29 - April 2, 2007

Snoqualmie Haute Route - March 29 - April 2, 2007

3/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by GregLange on 4/8/07 9:47am
This is my first post in a long time, after a hectic winter of helping other people get out skiing, including my own family. I even went as far as training for this trip, as I knew ther physical demands would be great. My expectations were exceeded...

Here is the PGS posting for our little jaunt into the high route country beyond the north end of Snoqualmie Pass. It was written by one of the guides.

A great time was had by all, albeit lots of climbing for just a little bit of premium skiing.

"We've been itching to get back to the Snoqualmie High Peaks ever since Martin pioneered his version of the Haute Route several years ago. The mix of glaciers, steep mountains, and beautiful ski descents in a remote wilderness setting offers a unique Cascadian experience rivaling anything to be found in the great ski mountaineering ranges of the world. And it is only 30 miles from our back yard in North Bend, WA.

This was the year. Long time PGS clients Jim Swayze, Greg Lange, and Greg Allen joined us for this five day adventure. A bluebird start at Snoqualmie Pass made us hopeful for good things to come. When we had to ski rappel over Kendall Peak, we knew we had made the commitment.

The next several days took us over the Chikamin notch, past the Lemahs and up to Overcoat Col. Travel conditions were good. Downhill skiing was a bit of a challenge on variable conditions, but the views were outstanding. Full weather conditions greeted us on our ascent of Overcoat Col. The weather followed us through the next two days as we climbed and skied to Summit Chief Col and over to the La Bohn Gap area. The climb over the ridge to Summit Chief provided some fun roped climbing and route finding challenges. This area is the key crux to maintinaing a high route over this rugged terrain.

The big ski descents of Mt Hinman and Mt Daniel were on the agenda for the last couple of days. The group felt super charged as we traded overnight packs for day touring packs out of our camp below La Bohn Gap.
This area gave us the best skiing of the trip with new snow and intermittent sunshine. We were impressed with the limitless pure ski terrain in this massif.

Our exit was classic Cascades, using gravity on a deep consolidated snowpack to descend into the forest greenery and back to the cars in six and a half hours.

We want to go back soon. This traverse should be at the top of the to do list for any ski mountaineer. "

Fotos can be viewed at:

http://www.proguiding.com/tripreport/view/snoqualmie-high-route

I'm looking forward to a great springtime of skiing!...GregLange

Awesome. I really want to get further back in this area. Thanks for the photos and words.

Several times this season I have gazed eastward from the Snoqualmie, or Red, or Kaleetan, and pondered what secret descents lay hidden deep within the range.  My life seemed the less full for not having explored these remote passes when snow ruled over the terrain.  It makes me glad to know that a rare few, at least, have tasted the delights of the Snoqualmie interior on skis.

Sounds great, Greg!

I'm curious, how did you end your trip? Did you exit west down the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River or east down the Cle Elum River? If you reached the cars in 6-1/2 hours from La Bohn Gap, I'm guessing you went west.

Did you ski to Mt Daniel and back in a day from La Bohn Gap? That would be a big day!

Lowell:
We skied out the Middle Fork. The snow was nicely frozen under the trees until the last 2.5 miles before the road end, and then classic springtime low-elevation glop for the remainder. Our sub-group summited Mt. Hinman on our departure day, after leaving camp at Chain Lakes and moving up thru LaBohn Gap. We then descended, broke camp at 11 AM, and continued down via Williams Lake and to the car at the Goldmeyer Hot Springs gate by 6:15 PM.

There was some discussion as to who, besides Martin and crew back in 1998 (?), may have completed this route. Of course you and your brothers were the only group (besides perhaps Beckey Bros.) that would have completed from either direction. You would have an excellent time pursuing this with Gordy, using whatever variation you came up with.

Hi Greg,

Martin's 1999 group (Martin Volken, Mike Hattrup, Peter Avolio, Andy Dappen, Carl Skoog) did a horseshoe traverse around the headwaters of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River. In my history website I summarize it as: "Ski traverse from Big Snow Mtn to Mt Hinman, Overcoat Glacier, Chikamin Peak, Gold-Burntboot Creek divide, Snoqualmie Pass".

In 2002 my group (Joe Catellani, Matt Firth, Bruce Goodson, Lowell Skoog) did a "thru route" starting at Snoqualmie Pass and ending at the Cle Elum River. We skied the southern half of Martin's horseshoe route (to Chain Lakes) then skied over Mt Hinman and Mt Daniel to Peggy's Pond and the Cle Elum River. I did this traverse on foot with Gary Brill in 1975.

In my previous post, I was confused because your write-up mentioned skiing Hinman and Daniel. It sounds like you didn't do Daniel. Skiing Mt Daniel is not very practical when doing the horseshoe route but it's mandatory when doing the thru route.

=====

Edited to add:

From your post it sounds like your group did a high traverse between the Overcoat Glacier and Summit Chief saddle. That's the way our group did it in 2002. My brother Carl told me that during Martin's 1999 trip they dropped way down into Lemah Creek instead, providing more downhill skiing but also requiring a lot more climbing.

Lowell:
2 members of the party, Mason Stafford and Jim Swayze, did summit both Hinman and Daniel on same day. However, Ben Haskell, Greg Allen and myself only summitted Hinman, due to exit time constraints. The route our group took was a type of reversal from Martin's original route, with our beginning over Kendall Ridge and exit from Chain Lakes. After having come down the Middle Fork valley, I could see how starting out that way would lead to some attitude of defeat before the journey even began. As well, I can see why the original group of Martin's went up Hardscrabble, and took 6 days top complete, as that ius alot of terrain to cover.

Thanks for all of historianship...

I missed this report earlier Greg, was looking in wrong month. 
After Mason and I left you at the summit of Hinman conditions improved markedly.  The 2000' run down the E. slope was ideal conditions, 3-4" of cold smoke on a seemingly groomed base.  The weather seemed to be holding back from "full on" the further E. we went, so we decided to push on for Mt. Daniels.  Visibility was good enough that navigating to PeaSoup Lake was simple and gaining the Lynch Glacier presented no difficulties.  In a few hours we were at the Middle Summit, where the visibility prevented us from going from achieving any of the other summits.  The ski down was as good as it gets, with approx. 8" of powder on a perfectly consistant base that was well bonded.  The weather continued to cooperate as we hauled it back over Hinman to our camp on Chain Lakes.  Stats: 6900' gained in 9.5 hours.  By far the best skiing conditions of the whole trip.  Then it snowed another 6" overnight to make the glide out somewhat easier.  We were able to ski where we saw you were postholing.  That must have been one long, tough day for you.

Reply to this TR

snoqualmie-haute-route-march-29-april-2-2007
GregLange
2007-04-08 16:47:57