Home > Trip Reports > Killer Korn in the Kootenays- April 4- 7.

Killer Korn in the Kootenays- April 4- 7.

4/15/07
Posted by Scotsman on 4/8/07 3:42am
Wednesday April 4 th, my buddy Telemack and I headed off for a hut trip to Sherman Pass. After a long drive, we scanned the slopes from the road and decided there wasn't enough snow so we reverted to plan B; northwards towards Nelson and Whitewater. At the border, Telemacks pRana hemp pants, extravagant goatee and our Nelson destination meant we where subjected to " the full montie search",  four border guards, the drug dog and every thing in the truck searched head to toe.
After passing inspection we proceeded to Nelson and the local climbing/ski store for beta. After picking up some maps, a backcountry ski guide and a rock climbing guide I found myself at 6.00PM, standing in the snow belaying the Telemack as he sport climbed a 5.9 and a 5.10 at a crag about 15 minutes from town. ??? Feeling pleased with himself at having got some climbing in we headed back to Nelson for beer and a night at a local hostel.

Thursday , April 5th found us at the Whitewater ski area which was closed but would be opening the next day. The terrain was incredible and the skies bright blue. After consulting the backcountry guide, we skinned up the ski area and then crossed into the BC and climbed to a ridge on the north side. We tried to climb the ridge to Ymir peak but the terrain got really steep so we skied back down to the col and went in the other direction to the top of White Queen peak. The slopes to the north into 5 mile basin where tempting but a pit revealed 4 inches of old powder with a distinct slab 12" down that sheared when I was cutting the back of the block. We found a more gentle slope into the basin and had creamy turns in pretty good north facing powder.
We climbed back up to the col and skied nice corn through trees to the base of the ski area. We then went up the other side and climbed up to Blaster's Ridge and climbed to the top of the peak and skied down into the ski area again. With about 4,200 VF for the day we called it good and headed to Nelson for dinner. After dinner we went back to the ski area and I slept in the back of the truck and Telamack found a potato cellar at the lodge and slept there on his bouldering pad. ;D

Friday, April 6th we where awoken by ski patrol. After breakfast in the lodge we bought a one trip ticket ( $12) and then skinned back up to Blaster's ridge for an attempt to climb Ymir peak. We headed along the ridge towards the peak but at the base of a committing triangular face we called it quits due to rising temperatures and increasingly suspect snow. I had checked the avy report in the morning and the forecast was low for the morning changing to considerable for south slopes as the temperature rose. We retraced our route and skied nice corn back to the lodge where we broke down and bought afternoon passes and skied lifts for the rest of the day. The terrain at Whitwater was great and although served by only two, double chair lifts, you could access some great runs.

I had always wanted to ski Red Mountain at Rossland so we left Nelson and drove to Rossland that night.

Saturday April 7th.
We had to go home today but we got up early and went to the Red Mountian Ski area which was closed for the season. We had intended to try and climb Mt. Roberts but due to time  we had to limit ourselves to climbing to the top of the ski area and at about 11.30am we reached the top of Granite Mountain. Lots of snowmobilers and a few skiers where on the mountain. We had a terrific run back to the base on nice corn.
Time to go home and 9 hrs later we where back in Gig Harbor after our Kootenay road trip.

Nelson is waaaaaaaaay cool and Whitewater BC fantastic!
I'll post pictures as soon as I have figured out how to get them to 800 pixels!! ???
  It is kind of ironic that the reason I did not join you guys on the trip was that I had just returned from the long drive to and from Nelson. I am surprised that the border patrol give you any grief, since your description of Telemack sounds like your typical Nelson resident. Like you I really enjoyed Whitewater, especially its steep glades. We should look into a return trip there next March.

Good report, Haggis-Man.  Crossing the border isn't what it used to be.

WW is gorgeous.  ;D  Great OB terrain, and some fine steep, slushy bumps right under the Summit Chair.  I think Sherman would have been adequate but this was way better.  Lots of friendly locals to give us beta and admire our out-of-town energy.  I even got to see my son Isaak at EWU on the way home!

Thanks, Scotsman, fo' the skinning, turns and belays.  Maybe I'll bring a different flavor of schnapps on the next road trip.... 8)

Reply to this TR

killer-korn-in-the-kootenays-april-4-7
Scotsman
2007-04-08 10:42:44