Home > Trip Reports > Granite Mountain gwanch patrol April 7.

Granite Mountain gwanch patrol April 7.

4/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cochise on 4/7/07 9:33am
Androolus and I headed for Granite this morning ariving at about 715 and started out about 730. The first order of business was to fight off the bigest frickin' mosquitoes I have ever seen in Washington. These were easily the size of the ones I encountered in Alaska. I guess spring is here. By the time we hit the trail the mosquitoes were gone and so is the snow. The trail is bare for quite a ways up. Androolus brought his approach shoes and I wish I had brought mine!!!!! Once we hit the snow in the gully we booted straight up to the summit. The snow was pretty consistent and step kicking was not a problem. We made it to the lookout at 1030 and There were a couple of climbers and we met Preston and Spltbrdr from TAY. Nice to meet you guys. After a bit of a break we decided to ski the west face for a warm up. The snow was great and we skied down to the tree line. We skinned back to the summit(whew!) and took another break and watched the rain coming in. They say timing is everything and we skied the gully we came up. The snow was just as nice if not better than the west side. Things felt good and consolidated with no sluff. By the time we had made our last few turns the skies opened up and gave us a nice shower that did stop after about 10 minutes. There are some great boot tracks and great skiing left, but, not for very long get it while you can. As for the gwanch...we found none, but, we will keep looking. Jay.
Nice meeting you guys.

Here's a pic of Cochise.  He's not the one in yellow  ;).

For those of you who were wondering they had the first annual Granite Mountain Summit performance of "Robin Hood Men in Tights."

Where's Curious George?

{Isn't it a little early for mosquitos?}

Nice meeting you Cochise and Androolous - sounded like your run down the West Bowl was nice.  We ended up riding the ridge just west of the first avalanche gully - a good ride down but as you said - it's not going to last much longer!

I took some pictures of kaleetan peak and such for people to see how much snow. Clickr or Flickr

including this delightful picture of 3 tayers.

Foolishly I didn't wear the camera when skiing the main chute...because I was scared that I would fall. The corn was so excellent that I felt more secure on the steep slopes than the lower angle west ridge slopes....lame, lame, lame.

Reply to this TR

granite-mountain-gwanch-patrol-april-7
cochise
2007-04-07 16:33:04