Home > Trip Reports > April 1-3, 2007, Bullion Basin Pulk Tour

April 1-3, 2007, Bullion Basin Pulk Tour

4/1/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by atacomite on 4/4/07 4:13am
Why carry it on your back when it can glide behind you on a sled?* 
Natalie, Max, Nick, Bo (€œDoggie-Dog€), and I left €œUpper Lot C€ at Crystal Mountain at 3:30 pm on April 1 with virtually all of our gear packed into two ski pulk sleds.  It was Spring Break for the kids and the beginning of a two-night snow camping trip.  Two hours later we arrived at lower Bullion Basin to set up camp.  The sleds were an easy pull except for their tendency to turn over on steep traverses.  We took our skis off and €œbooted€ them up the steepest sections.**  Luckily the snow was firm enough for a good boot-hold.

The water in our camelbacks had already frozen before dinnertime.  It was easy to obtain water from the stream. After shivering around our camp stove for a couple of hours eating Katmandu Curry (disappointing flavoring, particularly when undercooked) and Apple Crisp and drinking hot cider, we retreated into your tent for warmth. There were four of us plus a large dog crammed into what some would consider a two-man tent. It was a cold night (17 degrees at 7:00 am) but somehow we managed to sleep fitfully.

Three to five inches of fresh light snow fell during the night. This was added to the sun-crust on southern facing slopes and to the already 3 inches of firm snow on northern facing slopes.  The skiing was great all day.  On the southern facing slopes the sun turned 3 inches of powder on crust to one inch of heavy snow and then froze to a nice crust as the sun went down.

We dug a 5-foot deep snow pit, complete with benches, and built a small campfire in it with a chimney.  We cooked our dinner on the fire.  Sweet and sour chicken, chili macaroni, barbeque chicken and rice, and, best of all, salmon with pesto.   We also enjoyed chocolate s€™mores, mocha mousse pie, and more apple crisp.  Freeze dried food never tasted so good! 

Another cold night but thanks to Doggie-Dog€™s body warmth, we slept well again. 

We awoke Tuesday morning to a trace of new snow and bright blue skies.  After a hearty breakfast of instant oatmeal and heouvos rancheros, we packed up the pulks and headed back to Crystal. The return trip required using ropes to help guide the pulks from behind.  There were some slightly challenging moments on the steepest section but overall, getting the pulks back down went smoothly.   

Play or hum you favorite background music then click http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/558505592vWCJDt for the slide show. 

* Perhaps the fear that an overloaded frictionless gear hauler attached to your person will get a mind of it€™s own and drag you down the hill with it€¦.

** Perhaps this could have been avoided if we used the SE passage...
Looked like a great trip other than the real cold overnight temps.
That was great to see the whole gang got out. That is a lot of work to put that together. Deep inside I was envious and joyous that the youths got that experience.
Nice slide show-I really like the fire pit with the chimney. Did you make sure the flue was open?  :D
And the skiing looked great, gotta like that long drainage run-looks like the dog did too.
Joe

I saw your tracks from east peak and they looked amazing I was up there getting sunrise shots of Crystal. If Im correct I think I also met you real fast at the base of Crystal.

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/rellimp3/Crystal%20Sunrise/

[Edit - removed displayed photo, over 3 photo limit for thread - Charles]

Nice photo Kyle!  That was us at Crystal.  We were wondering where you pitched your tent?

I dug a small pit about 50 feet below the rocky summit of East peak on the West side in the trees to somewhat protect me from the wind. Monday night was rather cold and it didnt help that my camelpack had a leak in it and got my clothes and gear Soaked..

Wonderful TR and slideshow.  I really like the "sherpa dog" and "sherpa boys".  I'm working on a similar plan with my grandsons.  This is inspirational.   ;)

Great to see kids!
How old are they?
I've got a 4 and 6 year old (5 and 7 for next season) that I'm hoping to get into telegear and backcountry too. (BTW Where did you get their gear?)
Mine actually had their first overnighter on cross country gear during the real cold snap in January. Glad you guys faired ok yourselves.

Looks like you folks had a ball.
You may be right; the "SE Passage" may have had a lot less sidehilling for the sleds.
We were leaving upper C lot as you folks were gearing up to go.
Good you had the dogs to warm up the tent; it could have been a "three dog night"  :)

Great to see kids!
How old are they?

Max is 15 and Nick is 10.  Just like your family, we started out with simple overnight trips, about one per year. 
Where did you get their gear?

Most our telegear has come from ebay.  The boots Nick had for this trip cost $15.00 plus $20.00 shipping!  They are 2 sizes too big but he doesn't seem to care.  Hate to spend much on telemark gear for the kids as we tend to do more resort skiing in alpine gear.  Nick used his teleboots 4 times this year.  Natalie rented from Backpackers Supply/Marmot in Tacoma for this trip.  I'd rather rent for them and the small rental women's boots at Backers would work but the rental skis are too long.
Mine actually had their first overnighter on cross country gear during the real cold snap in January.

I remember seeing your post.  Did you ever ski from Crystal to 410?  I've wanted to do that but only with someone with prior experience...

author=atacomite link=topic=6768.msg27270#msg27270 date=1175788497]
Did you ever ski from Crystal to 410?  I've wanted to do that but only with someone with prior experience...

Ive done it quite a few times from all different areas right now the snow is melted out quite aways up the road and alot of people who drop off the backside will carry skateboards to ride back to the Blvd

I never did make it.
But I sure want to someday.
I'm kind of new to backcountry and looking for new people to meet so I can get some more experience--with or without kids!
Hope to hike up Crystal Sunday morning, for some early am turns, cause I'm desperate!!!
:D

Reply to this TR

april-1-3-2007-bullion-basin-pulk-tour
atacomite
2007-04-04 11:13:33