Home > Trip Reports > April 3 Guye Peak

April 3 Guye Peak

4/15/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by RonL on 4/3/07 7:31am
I just couldn't go to work today so I called in well. I got a later start than was smart for a warming day like this with new snow. I skied down the East facing Col on Guye a little later than noon. The top two thirds of the col was fun but the sun was definately having its way with the new 4 inches or so that fell recently. In the bottom section the sluffing got a little unruly and I got a good reminder to slow down and let that stuff go by from a safe zone.
Those same 4 inches had me biting my nails at that same hour, on descent from Chair Peak basin-- I sent one big heavy sluff straining through trees and over a small declivity, fortunately not with myself in tow.  To imagine the same conditions in a confined gully, as pictured, is exciting perhaps but not overly appealing. 

Hey Ron,

I was one of the guys you spoke to in the parking lot when you got back. We had a nice morning on Kendall Stump. We also saw evidence of slab motion, but the low angles there made the skiing less dicey. It was a gorgeous day to be out for sure.

Hey nice to meet you guys. It's fun to put faces to the names around here. The stump was certainly a wiser route choice for the day. It was a great day to get up in mtns and enjoy the sunshine.

Nice! Great line. Ben Haskell & Co have been skiing it over the last few years. Who knows--maybe he was the first? Anyway, after Dave & I skied it in Feb, Ben told me that he calls it the "Big Guy" Couloir.

Reply to this TR

april-3-guye-peak
RonL
2007-04-03 14:31:37