Home > Trip Reports > April 2, 2007, Silver Peak N. Basins

April 2, 2007, Silver Peak N. Basins

4/2/07
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 4/2/07 1:20pm
Though lots will change tomorrow this may be useful as I'm guessing the prognosis for skiing near the crest for tomorrow will be pretty good.  I started at the Silver fir lift skinning up the Outback run to Grand Junction with 1 to 2 inches of snow on Sunday's groomed surface.  In the forest to Nordic Pass to my surprise, that amount of snow seemed to reach the forest floor as well.  From Windy Pass to my end point on the NW ridge of Silver Peak there was 2 to 4-5 inches depending on wind transport.  Surprisingly little strong wind touched the snow most anywhere on the north side, no wind slabby snow to speak of.  The crust beneath was very thick and smooth.  The combo made for very pleasant turns, but occassionally problematic skinning on side hill traverses.  When I turned the NW ridge at 5300ft. toward the summit the new snow was blown free from the icy crust on the west aspect so I was thwarted yet again from a ski off the very top.  Two trips in a row where I forgot my self arrest grip, now.
Tomorrow the snow on north aspects may stay light, at least for the morning.  And on sun exposed aspects the new snow should settle into just a bit of soft wet stuff on the firm crust.  As long as the nights stay cold that crust seems like it will stay supportive into the future with either light snow, a trace of wet snow, or simply corn on top.
To my surprise when I came back to the NW basin after my aborted summit bid I saw 4 snowboarders and 2 skiers on the 5100 foot knowl.  When they reached the ridge I first recognized Skip from the Nordic center, where we once worked together, leading the boarders.  And the teleiers were Charles' ski friends Dave and Dave.  Good to finally meet the Daves.  And thanks for the tip on the best slopes into the NE basin for the second run.  Even the new snow in the clearcut was not affected by wind so I skied the gentle slopes down to the Rockdale hole and skinned back up to Grand Junction.
Fun day and unexpected good company.
Pics: the first is Pratt and Granite across the valley.  Then turns at the bottom the the NW bowl.  Then the Daves on their second run.  Kind of boring.  Hope I didn't take up the photo space for some cool pic one of the Daves wanted to post.  I'll erase 'em if so.  I always like to look at a good picture.  Let me know. 
It was great to meet you too, John.  Thanks for the nice uptrack!  I doubt any of my pictures are any good and the file size shrinking is for some reason too hard for me.  I think I will do my usual and by late Tue there may be a few pictures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/koelle/ but your pictures captured it quite well.  It was amazing how pristine those few inches of snow were.  David K

minimovie added

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIeGHlvxC5o

Reply to this TR

april-2-2007-silver-peak-n-basins
John Morrow
2007-04-02 20:20:19