Home > Trip Reports > March 31/April 1, 2007, Rock Mountain

March 31/April 1, 2007, Rock Mountain

4/15/07
Posted by Eli3 on 4/2/07 3:55am
With poor weather, and low avy danger in the forecast snoslut, eric, kevin and I decided it was time to try some exploring.  We thought nason ridge might be fun, go up to rock mountain and traverse over to howard.  We got to the rock mountain trailhead around 9am, and after a much easier than expected approach, set up camp around 5800 feet.  As we continued up the ridge to the summit, we crossed paths with a rather large (10 or so) group of mountaineers.  The weather was pretty bad - windy, white out, etc..., but the snowpack seemed solid so we continued up.  As we gained the ridge, the wind got really, really strong:

The traverse over to the summit was pretty chilly, and of course everything got socked in by the time we got there.  After a quick snack on the summit, we headed back down in a whiteout.  As we got back to camp, things started to clear up a bit, giving some cool views of the summit ridge and the gigantic overhanging cornice.  The evening provided some excellent turns in creamy snow.

Overnight, temps dropped and it snowed a few inches.  The new snow provided an excellent turning surface, however high winds and low vis kept us off of the nason ridge traverse.

and after a much easier than expected approach...

I expected to skin up steep tree'd slopes.  Instead it was about 2,000 ft. of dirt, rock and rotten snow getting firmer the higher we ascended on a tree'd slope easily tipping 40 degrees.  Yes much easier than expected once you run it through the North Cascades Meter.

we crossed paths with a rather large (10 or so) group of mountaineers...

I only counted 4 or 5 snowshoers at the most.  I must have had vertigo of the eyes too.

Ah goodtimes! ;D ;D ;D

OOooh, I like the first pic, a lot!
Veerry Niiice!

author=snoslut link=topic=6653.msg27174#msg27174 date=1175549815">
I expected to skin up steep tree'd slopes.  Instead it was about 2,000 ft. of dirt, rock and rotten snow getting firmer the higher we ascended on a tree'd slope easily tipping 40 degrees.  Yes much easier than expected once you run it through the North Cascades Meter.

Hello,
I know I'm asking for minute details but was the trail snowfree to near the place where the ridge rolls over and the trail crests it at about 4800 ft. or were you postholing well before that?  Always thought camping where you did would access ALOT of skiing.  If only to reach that north slope of Rock on a powder day...
Thanks,
John

John_Morrow there was still a snowbank on the side of the road.  One could skin from here but would be a waste of time due to many many bare spots.

Those cornices were freaky.  I followed a fracture along the ridge that was 10 ft from the edge, an inch wide for about 50 ft until the wind in snow made it disappear again.  When they go it will be a site to see!

Thank you, wishful thinking.  I figured it was too early but hearing about bare dirt made me wonder.
Cool trip.
John

Reply to this TR

march-31-april-1-2007-rock-mountain
Eli3
2007-04-02 10:55:36