Home > Trip Reports > April 1, 2007, Bullion Basin - Crystal Mtn.

April 1, 2007, Bullion Basin - Crystal Mtn.

4/1/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 4/1/07 10:28am
[quote author=Darryl link=topic=6587.msg26953#msg26953 date=1174920576]
Yet another quest to find the elusive SE passage to Bullion Basin was conducted......

Even though it was April 1st, there was no foolin around today as we nailed the "SE passage" ;D to Bullion Basin!  As Darryl stated in his March report, "The fabled route is a lower avalanche hazard, shorter route to Bullion Basin than the standard route".  There were just two of us today, Ron and myself, and we were quite pleasantly surprised by the new snow.  Traversing through the trees we found all the tree debris from last weekend covered by a soft blanket of white.  Once at Bullion Basin we decided to climb the west facing slope to the ridge.  There was plenty of new light snow ranging from 1 to 6 inches depending on location and aspect.  The sloppy snow from last week has firmed up into a nice bomber proof base with this wonderful fresh snow covering.  Silas's friend Rob caught up with us at the top, we chatted for a few moments before Rob took off towards whiter pastures farther up the ridge.  (Sorry you missed this one Silas). Ron and I skied the steeper aspects on the velvet snow back down into the Bowl and then reluctantly headed out toward the car.  It was a great day :D with light snow falling, and sun breaks the entire time  ;D.  Photos here
author=Mad_Dog link=topic=6644.msg27147#msg27147 date=1175477306]
(Sorry you missed this one Silas)

My day was much more taxing, indoors with the 1040.  :(
Glad to hear yours was pleasant.

so you were successful in finding the passage??  way to go!  if anyone could find it, it would be you guys.  8)  glad you had such a great day!

Expertly reported, MadDog.
Ally's such a sweetheart; she always says things to make us look like we know what we are doing... I like that in a woman.
I still owe some pics - they're on the top of my list  ;)

author=ron j link=topic=6644.msg27263#msg27263 date=1175753523]
...she always says things to make us look like we know what we are doing...

ron j--either you fake it well and you got me fooled, or you've actually learned something somewhere along the line...i'd venture to say the latter, but maybe you're the ultimate con artist??  hmmm...  ;)

Finally got the pics off my camera  ::)

The MadDog was hot last Sunday:

The snow was really fast, as others have also pointed out...

As an aside, I had to give up on Picasa.  The service was real handy but I couldn't seem to get the links to work with it.  I'm sure folks were getting tired of all my red x's.  I guess they prohibit hot linking.  It would have been nice if it had been more obvious when I signed on.  Ya gotta love all the change that's happening on the net these days, eh?  Exciting.

Anyway, more pics posted HERE.

Nice turns Jeanette - I think that last pic is worthy of Telemark Tips cover.  Good timing too Ron!

Reply to this TR

april-1-2007-bullion-basin-crystal-mtn
JMor
2007-04-01 17:28:26