Home > Trip Reports > March 28-30 Alpyback, Snow, Melakwa Pass,

March 28-30 Alpyback, Snow, Melakwa Pass,

3/15/07
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by alpymarr on 3/30/07 1:25pm
Splitboard Graham and I headed out for a 2 nighter to Snow Lake. Left the upper lot at Alpental around 2 pm on Wed. and headed up a slick traverse to Source Lake and broke trail up to the saddle. Deskinned and skied some really nice lighter snow down to the lake. Best snow of the day by far. Set up camp near the outlet on the NE side of the lake and had a beautiful sunset and evening there. Great views of Chair, Roosevelt and Chimney peak area. Next morning awoke to blubird skies and started the leisurely glide across the lake to the lower slopes of Roosevelt. Started up to the divide in slush mixed with a large amount of avy debris. Much of the descent from the Chair Peak Lake saddle is choked out with huge chunks of debris, wet slides coming off of the cliffs and rocks above the bowls. About half way to Chair Peak Lake noticed a lot of windloading/slab formation on Northern aspects, especially on the N. Slope of chair pk. Active crossloading and windloading was obvious and entertaining to watch. Got up to the lake and had a really enjoyable 10-12 turns down to the lake in slushy niceness on a firm base. Probed the lake and found 5 feet of snow on top of the ice. Continued on to skin up to Melakwa Pass.....ahhh that was sweet. Nice untouched deep soft snow, wind deposited but stable. Skied that back down to the lake. Then back down the ascent route avoiding the debris in suncooked slush, deep too. The upper part of this run was really nice. Got down to Snow to obtain some water in a melted out creek entrance surround by 6 foot snowbanks, definately no lack of coverage. Skinned up adjacent slope for one last slushfest in the trees. Returned to camp for food and rest, and never ceasing chilly wind. In the tent the rest of the night. Awoke this morning to sun then, wait, clouds, then some graupel then some rain, then the car. Skiing today was pretty much ummm....mediocre at best. Home sounded good after 2 nights out and no new snow. Great trip and an amazing run and area back there. New favorite!!
Good job Andy!  I'll let U know if I get an unlimited pass.  Scotsman, Joedabaker & I have plans for sump'in' next week. 

Alpymarr is correct - Melakwa Pass is a new favorite. Great views of Glacier Peak, Dakobed range, White Horse area?, even Mt. Adams... The run down to Chair Peak Lake was pristine, except for some older large snow/ice chunks to slalom around. Perfect gap between the cornices at the pass. Nice runs on the South side, but not in the sun triggered avalanches yesterday, coming down constantly on Southerly slopes. Amazing wind deposits, not dry exactly, but better than slush, and easy to turn in. The upper NE slopes of Roosevelt look prime for skiing... anyone hit that? The cliffs between kaleetan and Roosevelt are impressive. Reminds me of Surprise Basin in the olympics. Saw some skiiers (4) ride down from one of the notches below Chair peak down the "dunes" to the cliffs and chutes above Snow Lake. We were a little worried at first, but they found a pleasantly steep way down. Below Chair Peak there apeared to be a hanging climax slab. Looked as though some of it had gone earlier, perhaps last weekend. Obvious wind slabs in that N bowl off Chair. Probably should avoid ascending that way, or skiing too close below it.  It looked like a hanging glacier, with visible glide cracks from a mile or more away.

I was in that group of 4 descending the dunes. 
author=Splitboard Graham link=topic=6630.msg27106#msg27106 date=1175316169]
Amazing wind deposits, not dry exactly, but better than slush, and easy to turn in.
  Exactly.  These dunes are a pleasant romp, mostly a gentle grade but with a few short, steep rolls thrown in.  Wind loading was variable but no slabs were present.  I would have thought we'd finish this run cliffed out above the lake, not knowing that there was a good way down through the cliff bands-- but Connor asked me not to tell anyone about the secret couloir.  Don't worry, Connor, your secret is safe with me.

Yeah nice line out of there......lots of people hit that. Hang left too for a nice one down to the lake :)

Pic of the pass.

Reply to this TR

march-28-30-alpyback-snow-melakwa-pass
alpymarr
2007-03-30 20:25:55