Home > Trip Reports > March 26/27 Spearhead Traverse - The Borat Tour

March 26/27 Spearhead Traverse - The Borat Tour

3/15/07
Posted by AndyMartin on 3/30/07 12:19pm
After an aborted attempt a month previously due to howling storms, Monday March 26th found four amigos gathered at the top of the Showcase T-bar on Blackcomb mountain for another try.
This time our motley crew of Martin Volken, Andy Martin, Chris Solomon and Rob Morris were greeted by bluebird skies, light winds and cool temperatures. A few inches of new snow over Saturday€™s 6,000 foot rain line put the icing on the cake!
Since 3 of the four guilty men were of Eurotrash descent, conversation quickly turned to catchphrases from a certain fake Kazakhstan reporter. For the next two days cries of €œvery nice!€ and €œyou want to make sexy time?€ could be heard echoing through the pristine beauty of the Spearhead Range.
A quick skin to the east col led us to the Decker glacier and the heart of the wilderness. A succession of saddles and glaciers followed, culminating in a spectacular camp site on the shoulder of Quiver Peak at about 8,600 feet. Travel was easy with a couple of inches of new snow over a denser base, with no skin glop problems. We crossed the Tremor, Trorey and Platform glaciers (to name a few), and the views were spectacular at every turn. Avalanche danger was generally low, and we stayed away from steeper north facing rollovers.
After setting up camp, Martin and Chris elected to ski a run on the Ripsaw glacier below camp in evening light and hero snow. We were also joined in camp by Monika and Monika (whom we had met in the parking lot), and who provided gourmet chocolate and welcome company.
After experiencing the joys of a 10 degree night in a 20 degree bag, we were delighted to get moving again on an even more spectacular bluebird day. A succession of glaciers and saddles led to the shoulder of Overlord Peak, from which vantage point you could almost smell the bacon in the Roundhouse at Whistler!
The best ski descent of the entire tour followed, 2,500 feet of soft snow down the mellow Overlord glacier, with awesome Fissile Peak as a backdrop. Here we saw evidence of a large avalanche, apparently skier triggered, on Fissile€™s north face. We never heard any more about it, so presumably the skiers got away with it. A quick skin brought us to the Russet hut for lunch, where we debated what to do with the scheduled third day of our trip. After about 6,000 feet of climb and 18 miles traveled, it didn€™t take much discussion to abandon the idea of another cold night, with burgers and micro brews so near at hand!  A final 700 foot skin led to a fun corn descent to Singing Pass, from where the 12 km forest trail brought us quickly out to Whistler Village by 4:30 pm. Howe Sound Brew Pub in Squamish was the perfect venue to reflect on a perfect tour, with great company in a stunning setting.
Oh, hell yeah. Good stuff. I like your photos.  ;D I need to get up there and ski at some point.

What do you think this would be like next week?

Excellent report and great photo's Andy!!  Very nice!!

author=telemack link=topic=6627.msg27105#msg27105 date=1175316099]
What do you think this would be like next week?

The coverage is great (over 3m base at Whistler) so unless we get another big Pineapple it should be great!

NIIICE!  How much?

author=FFCS link=topic=6627.msg27117#msg27117 date=1175365004]
NIIICE!  How much?

I think it was $540 for 3 days, which we elected to shorten to 2. I've been "meaning" to do the tour for at least 5 years, this way you actually get it done!

That was actually a Borat line, but, that is also good info.  Was the $540 Volkens fee, or the cost of the trip?  Sorry, I couldn't resist the Borat line, after watching it my friends and I spoke Kazakh for about two weeks.

Nice report and pics.  Looks like great weather, scenery, and skiing.  Doesn't get much better than that.

We were so lucky with the weather and to be able to follow your tracks. 
A spectacular end to my birthday ski trip.  Monika and my thousand THANKS.

squeaky snow, but grateful for no wind that winter night with a 30 degree bag.

Pics of Andy's group dropping down to the Tremor glacier
and their ski down the Overlord glacier, Fissile in the back.

author=Monika link=topic=6627.msg27148#msg27148 date=1175477768]

We were so lucky with the weather and to be able to follow your tracks. 
A spectacular end to my birthday ski trip.  Monika and my thousand THANKS.

Monika - it was fun meeting up with you guys, hope to ski with you again sometime. Thanks for the pics!

Reply to this TR

march-26-27-spearhead-traverse-the-borat-tour
AndyMartin
2007-03-30 19:19:04