Home > Trip Reports > March 29, 2007, Jolly Mountain

March 29, 2007, Jolly Mountain

3/29/07
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 3/29/07 12:55pm
Good freeze here in Roslyn last night had me hoping for good Spring conditions. 
Quick access report: One can ski the entire way from the trailhead if you stay on Rd. 4315 to the third switchback at 2800ft; or leave the first switchback by taking off the skis and follow the natural ribline on the right of Salmon La Sac Creek for a short uphill distance directly to the third switchback.  Here put the skis back on and climb direct, first through the old forest and then up the BIG regenerating clearcut.  There is a good skin track visible the whole way.  On the descent turns can be made between the young trees all the way back down to the third switchback.  There is a good amount of snow down to here and should last a couple more weeks.  By then it will be a hike to the 2800 to 3000ft. level.
Conditions:  The good freeze last night made for excellent corn condititons all the way back down to 2800 feet.  Off the summit 3 inches of powder on a firm base was still preserved on the north aspect.  Depending on what today brought in the way of heat, on north aspects the powder probably held in down to about 5000 ft.  We skied new snow down to 5000 feet but on the south aspects it behaved more like fine corn in the sun.  As long as it freezes at night the skiing should be great for a while.
TR:  I got an early start and eventually caught up with Larry_R a little above where he was camped the night before.  We made good time on the frozen snow to the top of Sasse Ridge, then did a rising traverse eastward just on the south side of the ridge crest, until turning toward the final short north slope of Jolly Mountain.  The east wind was blowing good until we got right on top.  After a nice lunchbreak it was a fun powder run on the north side, and then traverses with intervals of turns on great southfacing sun warmed snow, sinking in a couple inches to the firm crust.  After crossing back over Sasse Ridge the ski on the front side down toward the Cle Elum river was great corn.  The west aspect of this slope gives one some time to arrive before it gets to mushy.
I took a couple of pics of runs I never seem to have the strength or time to do because it requires a climb back out.  The first is a nice broad gully dropping north for 1200 vertical into S. Fk. Paris Creek and the third is the big east basin off the summit of Jolly.  Too bad I had to be in Ellensburg for a meeting at 4:30PM!  Seems like Larry really wanted to do some more skiing.  The second is Larry coming up to the top.
This was an exceptionally good trip; in deciding when to come up, John has impecable timing. The week before my sister Jane and I were slushed out the second day. No freeze and no cohesion.  But all and all this has been a great year snow camping at Sasse; I made it up every week since mid November with the exception of two weeks when I bailed to Tronsen because of 'excessive new snow depth'.  :)   One or two weeks left before it's time to head east. 

Larry

Quite the streak, Larry.  I challenge anyone to say they have wintercamped at least one night each week since November!  You sure had an array of different and interesting weather.  It was good to make it up to the "Sasse Ridge Medical Clinic" for at least a couple of check ups this season.
Thanks for a great day, Thurs.
John

"Quick access report: One can ski the entire way from the trailhead if you stay on Rd. 4315 to the third switchback at 2800ft;"

Great report.  Do you mean to say, the main valley road is snow-free and can be driven to where 4315 hits the valley bottom?  Thanks.

author=dkoelle link=topic=6619.msg27124#msg27124 date=1175396432]

Great report.  Do you mean to say, the main valley road is snow-free and can be driven to where 4315 hits the valley bottom?  Thanks.

In the interest of time, I hope you won't mind me answering for John;  :)

The road to Salmon La Sac is plowed all winter long. With very few exceptions, you can always drive to the parking area(s) that give access to Rd. 4315. It's useful to know that the plow usually - but not always - reaches the end of the plowed road by 9 to 9:30 AM on days with new snow. No use being early some days in the winter.

As to skiing from the parking area, I skied down an hour or later than John, and even in that brief time a few spots below the second switchback had melted out. I had to take my skis off twice for very short distances.  This coming week I suspect the best option will be to walk the road to half way between the second and third switchback beyond which snow should be continuous. Or just walk the rib to the south of the creek to 2800 ft as John described.

Larry

dkoelle,
Yes, the main Cle elum river road is plowed and there actually is a snowpark at the bottom of RD 4315.  Start skiing the road up to the first switchback and then take the skis off and hike the rib along the creek which will take you past the edge of the third switchback.  You can put and keep the skis on from here.  Just head upslope through the forest and it will put you in the big regenerating clear cut.  I tried to jpeg a Topo! map to post but I can not get the size down to 100 Kb to put it in the thread.  Hopefully this clears it up.
John
OK I see Larry's post.  How's this for redundancy.

Appreciate it.  My first and only trip up there last year left me intimately acquainted with road 4315, because it was blocked at valley bottom and then snow-free quite a ways.  An earlier go seems warranted.  MSN Earth marks the road out quite well.  I can see why you like the area. David

Reply to this TR

march-29-2007-jolly-mountain
John Morrow
2007-03-29 19:55:24