Home > Trip Reports > March 25, 2007, Cascadian Couloir, Mt Stuart

March 25, 2007, Cascadian Couloir, Mt Stuart

3/25/07
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Spin Fast on 3/29/07 4:55am
It wasn't supposed to turn out this way. Saturday was one of those days where you stayed inside and finished those long-overdue house projects. With rain dripping from the roof here in Leavenworth and similar reports in Seattle, the outlook for a Mt Stuart ski the following day was looking pretty grim. But there was hope...the weather was changing, with freezing levels dropping overnight and small amounts of snow predicted. Depending on where you clicked on the NOAA weather site you could actually find sun in the Cle Elum area for Sunday.

Here is a description of our day, posted by Aaron on . We skinned most of route in pow and wind buff conditions, , some wind buff and minimal crust. All in all, a brilliant outing."

Gear Notes:
Snomos for the road approach. Harscheisen for the skinning. Pons and axes for the false summit headwall and the summit traverse, if you are so inclined.

Approach Notes:
Snomo approach is mostly covered, with only a few 50 meter+ bare spots. The snow on the road was ultra slushy though, so I doubt it will be in shape much longer.

This was my first time up Mt Stuart and as we made those first turns from the false summit, I couldn't help but realize how lucky we are here in Washington to have such amazing terrain.

On a side note: I thought it would be entertaining to wear my heart-rate monitor to see how a 10-hr day on skis compares to a mountain bike race. Unfortunately it didn't work the entire time but I estimated an average HR of maybe 135 and ~ 6000 calories burned. Like I always say, backcountry skiing is great base training for the upcoming race season!
Very nice pics.  I assume the cascadian couloir is the last two pics in the kodak gallery?  I'm not too familiar with that peak.

Way to get after it despite the weather forecast!

author=marcr link=topic=6616.msg27059#msg27059 date=1175199225">
I assume the cascadian couloir is the last two pics in the kodak gallery?  I'm not too familiar with that peak.

Thanks!

Here is the viewpoint of Stuart from Longs Pass, the red line marking the Cascadian and  eventual descent

Sweet.  I lke those pics of Stuart in the sun from the valley floor, especially.

Looked like a great trip.
Ian your photography is a pleasure to enjoy.
That stuff is ski magazine material.
Do you sell any of your pictures?
Joe

Oh man, that first picture makes me really want to go ski ulrich's couloir.

Was thinking the same thing about Ulrich's. I've been down it in the summer but never been up close in the winter. There are a lot of good lookin' lines on that face.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=6616.msg27070#msg27070 date=1175226264]
Looked like a great trip.
Ian your photography is a pleasure to enjoy.
That stuff is ski magazine material.
Do you sell any of your pictures?
Joe

Thanks Joe. Like they say, "practice makes...well, something really good." It's hard to get a bad picture in such places. And yes, pictures are for sale.

Reply to this TR

march-25-2007-cascadian-couloir-mt-stuart
Spin Fast
2007-03-29 11:55:28