Home > Trip Reports > 3-25-07 Malakwa Out and Back

3-25-07 Malakwa Out and Back

3/25/07
Posted by alpymarr on 3/26/07 5:15am
Broke down and bought the 07-08 lift pass at Alpy, good till close this year too. Utilized that with a quick ride up 2 and out the upper gate for the remainder of the day. 6 new reported at the lift shack on top. Definately true with more in spots over the semi frozen slush crust, great conditions for late march. I'm happy. Dropped of the upper travers to find no lower traverse, so I skinned out to Piss Pass and climbe dup the bootpack to the ridge. Freshies were too tempting to not take a lap on that little bowl up there. Great turns on that one (Photo I hope). Hiked back up and dropped onto the west side of Pineapple, also referred to as f#$k bowl. Really nice turns there too, traversed out to Melakwa. Scoped the Bryant Hemlock col, really tempted to drop it, but large cornices. Sawed a good size chunk off and no results. Ripped skins and had a really great long run down to the original route in boot deep powder. Skinned back up to Pineapple and went out Great Scott which was fun late as well. Descending great scott with alpenglow is nice... No fog was crap and the traverse back to lot 4 was speedy. Going out for a few days on wednesday, planning on camping near Melakwa pass and sessioning as many lines as possible. Stop on by camp for a chat and goodies if you like!
Nice!  Cass and I skied a few laps in the closer backcountry yesterday and had good time of it, as well.  As you might imagine, the snow was increasingly better the further out one went.

I'm not sure whether you encountered any, but there were a number of wet slides that released off the eastern faces - several of which ran over the high traverse.  Notable was a monster than slid down the runout beneath Stokes Bowl.  We also came across a lot of glide cracks and associated holes.

Keep your tips up!

Yeah definately noticed those. Skied on west slopes most of the day, didn't see much of slides on these aspects except for a medium sized wet slide right under pineapple. Didnt feel it was a threat. We'll see what happens in the next couple of days, especially later this week.

Reply to this TR

3-25-07-malakwa-out-and-back
alpymarr
2007-03-26 12:15:49