Home > Trip Reports > March 25, 2007, Silver Pk...again

March 25, 2007, Silver Pk...again

3/25/07
Posted by md2020 on 3/26/07 4:43am
I've lost count of how many times we've toured up there this year, but since it's quick and easy, it keeps drawing us back.  With our season pass at Snoqualmie it's a quick ride up the quad, and downhill to Rockdale. Put on the skins and we're quickly above 4000'.

Brenda and I arrived at the pass a bit late with low expectations. These quickly improved with the sight of snow hanging in the trees halfway up the lift, and fine dry snow falling at pass level. Generally there was around 2 inches of new on top of a nice firm semi-froze mush, crossing into lower Silver Pk basin this became 5 inches. Lots of wind blowing snow over the summit ridge, and for a while it was snowing pretty hard. We climbed to the nob inside the upper bowl from where we did 2 laps down to around 3800'. Excellent stuff.

No stability issues, except for a couple large snowballs off the ridge from a couple of skiers and a lone boarder. Large chunks of cornice in the middle of the bowl, obviously from the warm and rain the day before.

I'm amazed at how well the snowpack is setting up.  I'm no expert, but I'm predicting some very nice early corn this year.

I was behind you although I didn’t make it all the way out to Silver Peak. I was departure-challenged and didn’t leave Silver Fir base until early afternoon. Assuming I picked up your trail on the way down to Grand Junction and then lost it near Rockdale Lake(?). I headed left at that point and on to Nordic Pass via the blue diamond route. Called it a trip at the pass and didn’t continue on to Windy Pass or Silver Peak area. I agree the conditions exceeded expectations. I had good carveable new snow (1 to 4 inches depending on tree cover) in the upper Mill Creek drainage on the way out. Good (half) day. - boyd

Reply to this TR

march-25-2007-silver-pk-again
md2020
2007-03-26 11:43:08