Home > Trip Reports > Broken Top, Oregon Cascades: March 21, 2007

Broken Top, Oregon Cascades: March 21, 2007

3/15/07
OR elsewhere
Posted by skip on 3/26/07 2:11am
Nice! I'm looking forward to doing that trip a little later this year combined with the South Sister.  Looks like the snow coverage is still good.  You had great weather.  The scenery in there is awesome!

Jill and I were at Bachelor cruising and enjoying the views of Broken Top and The Sisters on the 21st.  We were returning from Tahoe and Wednesday's are Shell 2 for 1 days at Bachelor. It was a great day to be in the mountains.  It is a looooong day trip from the Nordic Center.  Nice TR and photos.

Nice photos and a well told tale 8)

"A phone call earlier in the day informed me that my moving target, a roaming band of Washington malcontents..."

Are we worthy of such complements?!?!?! Fantastic trip it was and great story telling. I'm just now going through my photos to see what I can add to this.

Oh wait...here we have the brave explorer himself, high atop a dangerous perch, risking life and limb for that perfect photograph!

The sleeping giants of the Pacific Northwest
The aromas of the central Oregon desert

Ian
---

Nice timing with the good weather; lucky!!! :)  Sweet pics.

The Juniper berries are Very Eastern Oregon. I can smell the high desert.

The Sisters and Broken top are outstanding terrain. One trip I'd like to try is a traverse of the Sisters in spring. Has anyone out there tried that?

Nice TR Skip. Thanks for the inspiration.

yes, the elusive broken top.  we thought about that one last memorial day along with the sisters, but the weather limited us to the sparks lake traverse instead.  (see paul russell for his opinions on our base camp!).  glad you got some good skiing in after utah though--great pics too!  way to work it, skipster!  ;D

author=JimH link=topic=6588.msg27005#msg27005 date=1175029241]
The Sisters and Broken top are outstanding terrain. One trip I'd like to try is a traverse of the Sisters in spring. Has anyone out there tried that?

I agree. Matter of fact, why isn't there a hut in there somewhere??? That way you could start at Mt Bachelor and ski in to Middle Sister or something close by, and continue on out to a car at McKenzie Pass. Oooo....

There are a number of places in the Cascades (North and South) that need a hut! But maybe that's another thread. Could get pretty complicated  ;).

The slog out from Broken Top is a minor rite of passage for anyone who skis that area. I recall a few hours of skating through rolling terrain, complete with snowmobiles racing across the flats near the parking area. Yeeesh. Skip must have had a great time skating out on his Havocs....

author=JimH link=topic=6588.msg27005#msg27005 date=1175029241]
The Juniper berries are Very Eastern Oregon. I can smell the high desert.

Nice TR Skip. Thanks for the inspiration.

A few years ago a group of Mountaineers did the Sisters Traverse once the Cascades Lake highway past Bachelor was opened.  We had 2 groups one starting from the north at the Pole Creek campground and the other from the south.  We did a car key exchange at a joint group camp at Green Lake.  We skied Broken Top, South Sister and Middle Sister in perfect spring conditions.  It is a wonderful tour.

Zap

very nice skip, but you really should have been there for the sparks lake camp and made the pizza run with kam to know how good it can get  ;D.  glad you had a good trip back from utah! 

Reply to this TR

broken-top-oregon-cascades-march-21-2007
skip
2007-03-26 09:11:49