Home > Trip Reports > March 25, 2007, SE Passage to Bullion Basin

March 25, 2007, SE Passage to Bullion Basin

3/25/07
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Darryl on 3/25/07 11:49pm
Yet another quest to find the elusive SE passage to Bullion Basin was conducted by Ron, Jeanette, Jerry, Chuck and Darryl.  The fabled route is a lower avalanche hazard, shorter route to Bullion Basin than the standard route.  Ron has led a number of quests to find this highly sought after route.  This exploratory variation, named the two snags route, follows the standard route to two infamous snags and then turns east instead of following the standard route north. 

While climbing east through steep, tree covered slopes, one of the party members was heard to say €œWhy didn€™t we go the other way€?  The answer, of course, was €œWe went that way last time.€  We continued climbing until we intersected with one of our previous exploratory routes.  Disappointment swept over our party.  We again missed the fabled gentle ascending SE passage to Bullion Basin.  But, we got over that. 

We toured into Bullion Basin and decided to ski the slopes on the north side of the basin before the sun exposure made them unstable.  We climbed to approximately 6500 feet before stopping.  The slopes above us looked wind scoured.  While we were transitioning to down hill mode, we may have spotted one of the two Silas on TAY.  However, the skier took the line that Jerry wanted so we cursed rather than rejoiced the sighting. 

We glided down towards Bullion Basin over light stable snow until about 6000 feet.  We were skiing in two separate parties.  Both parties triggered point release slides about 4 inches deep.  Ron slid down the bed of the slide he triggered.  I skied out of the slide I triggered. 

We discussed our next tracks when we reached Bullion Basin.  We decided to ski the slopes north and west of Peak 6479.  The slopes are treed covered and would be less affected by the sun.  While touring to ridge, we had a confirmed sighting of one of the TAY Silas.  Once on the ridge, we followed Ron€™s nose to the north and west to descend The Nose back to upper lot C. 

A great tour even though we did not find SE passage.  Maybe next time.

Someone should give Chuck some skiing lessons.
You're right Darryl, Chuck could use a lesson or two....

He's a good guy though 8)....Fun tour !  I'm working on a slide show. Sorry Silas I forgot my video camera at home :-[

It was another great day of skiing.  Thank goodness for the new "freshies," otherwise it would have been like skiing on Hawaiian Shave Ice  ;), the only thing missing would have been the flavoring.  On this particular sunny Sunday, there seemed to be more people in the Crystal backcountry than on the groomers.  What's up with that??  The geezers did good though, we managed to climb and ski TWO different areas in the same day  ;D!

author=Mad_Dog link=topic=6587.msg26998#msg26998 date=1175008033]
The geezers did good though, we managed to climb and ski TWO different areas in the same day  ;D!

you guys never cease to amaze me!  ;)  great report darryl--very entertaining.  that pow in those pics look fantastic!  and even if it was hawaiian shaved ice, i'd still take it over the snow-less slopes we now have in va.  cheers to more goods to be had!  :)

I think you should have gone the other way ;) ;D

Great day in the mountains ;D. Thanks for the invite. Next time perhaps look for the NorthWest passage it's probably just as likely to exist.

Darryl, Great trip report. 
And thanks, I had no idea we were on a quest of such historic proportions.  This makes some of those foray's of Lowell, Sky and Paul Russell pale in comparison.

I've donated my pictures to Jerry for a slide show since he jerked my "red x" card thus denying me picture posting privileges. 

He says the suspension may be permanent unless I can:
1) discover the fabled SE Passage,
2) explain the meaning of live, and
3) explain to him the even greater mystery of life, what goes on in the minds of women. 

i think i'm in trouble.   

author=ron j link=topic=6587.msg27048#msg27048 date=1175180217]
I've donated my pictures to Jerry for a slide show since he jerked my "red x" card thus denying me picture posting privileges. 

He says the suspension may be permanent unless I can:
1) discover the fabled SE Passage,
2) explain the meaning of live, and
3) explain to him the even greater mystery of life, what goes on in the minds of women. 

i think i'm in trouble.   

Ron - I think you have the fabled SE Passage nailed. 

You've explained to me that the meaning of life is the same for male humans and male dogs, and it's NOT the same meaning for women.

Reply to this TR

march-25-2007-se-passage-to-bullion-basin
Darryl
2007-03-26 06:49:36