Home > Trip Reports > March 25, Mt. Ellinor chutes

March 25, Mt. Ellinor chutes

3/15/07
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by telemack on 3/25/07 1:17pm
     The Olympics had much sunnier skies and less rain impact than was forecast.  I was the only skier with several Peninsula Wilderness Club snow hikers.  Skinned a ways from the lower trail at 1600' up the road, then a regrowth thrash got me to the upper trailhead.  Around the junction with the lower trail I met boarder Richie and ATer Esteban.  We booted the chute (skinning would have worked a bit but not for very long in the main chute) all the way to the summit at 5950', and got great views of the Olys, Lake Cushman and Rainier above the clouds. 
     Steve and I skied the main chute from the very top, passing my friends on the way, on 1500' super corn.  It was so nice we had to take another lap.  We tried for the lin on the rib on skier's left of the chute, but wnent in to the next bowl over and had  splendid run to 4200' where we surmised that we had hit the wrong line and were above a running creek.  So it was skis on the packs a third time, climb out of the creek to the summer trail , and scratch around on the frozen evergreen scraps again.  Estefanico took off, while I hiked up to find my travel partners who had already headed down.  I skied for about 300 yards until it got too iced and wooden, then pounded my knees in my Ener-Gs down the middle trail and out the road.
     Hunter's farm on SR 106 has fine ice cream and salsa.   Very nice spring conditions and good vert training for Sherman Pass next week.  8)
See Road Conditions for more beta.

Well done Mack, I wish I could have made it but I had a hangover from the Dirtbag ball.
Any photos? How was it compared to our last year's attempt and do you want to do it again this coming weekend?
Congratulations, I know it's  a line you've been wanting to ski! ;D

Mack, Did you mean you started at 2600'?  That seems to be the lower trail elevation.  How deep was the snow on the road beyond that?  Thanks.

And what a nice day it was!
End of the road for now is the the lower trailhead at 2800. The trail from there is snow free until 3400 or so and seems easier than skining the road. The road didn't look to have more than a foot or two past the stoping point and might be able to be forged with a far greater 4X4 than mine.

I have fond memories of skiing the chute a dozen years ago and I've always wanted to do it again.
Super fun trip. After reading your TR I may just have to head over for a repeat...

Thanks.

Lower TH may be 2600'; I just read the sign and glanced at my altimeter as I set it.  Up the road and then the middle trail is more direct, but I followed Esteban's trax into the woods where hiking up to the upper TH.  I dunno 4x4s but it seems that it will be passable soon; still snow on final road (FR 14?).  Either way there will be turns for a while down to where the winter and summer trails join.

Reply to this TR

march-25-mt-ellinor-chutes
telemack
2007-03-25 20:17:49